Last Updated on
Are you looking for upcycled wine cork craft and project ideas? Learn how to make an easy DIY wine cork trivet for your kitchen using only a few simple supplies.
I have been saving wine corks for a while with the idea that *someday* I’d do something crafty with them. I love being crafty, I just don’t always have the time. Then I stumbled across a post about making a wine cork bath mat that inspired me.
I knew I didn’t have enough wine corks to make a project that big, but I really liked the idea of using the wine corks to make something practical. So I came up with the idea of using the same concept and turning it into a trivet since my favorite bamboo one broke recently.
It’s a very easy project and you only need a few simple supplies. I used a sturdy shelf liner as the base of the trivet because they’re non-stick and durable, yet easy to cut. You can find lots of cool patterns too if that’s your thing; I chose a neutral color for this project.
While I used upcycled wine corks, you can also buy new wine corks and use those. You’ll find a link to buy wine corks in the tutorial below.
How to Make a DIY Wine Cork Trivet
- Rotary cutter or Xacto type knife
- Sharp kitchen or pocket knife
- Cut all of your wine corks in half length wise with a sharp knife. You can sand them with some coarse sand paper if your cut isn't smooth. Arrange your corks into a square on your self healing mat. This allows you to measure how big of a piece of shelf liner you'll need.
- Measure out your shelf liner and cut it to size using your rotary cutter or Xacto knife.
- Hot glue each cork piece onto the shelf liner and continue until they are all glued on.
- Allow your upcycled wine cork trivet to dry completely before using.