Last Updated on
Handmade gifts are even better when they come in homemade packaging like this simple DIY paper gift box with flowers. It’s perfect for Mother’s Day or any special occasion.
It’s hard to believe that Mother’s Day is just around the corner. Mother’s Day is always very special to me as we brought our oldest daughter home from the hospital on Mother’s Day.
That sweet little girl will be 10 this year! It’s amazing how fast time flies by and how much she has grown. She’s an amazing little girl.
For Mother’s Day, I like to get outside and enjoy the fact that the weather is finally nice enough to enjoy our natural surroundings. Nothing fancy. A walk in the woods or a hike up a mountain and some good food.
My girls always make me the most special gifts. Since they like to make handmade gifts, I thought it would be fun to get into homemade gift wrapping as well.
That’s where this DIY Paper Gift Box tutorial comes in. It’s great for holding small gifts like the jewelry and other fun things my girls make me. They’re great for store bought gifts too 😉
We’ll walk you step-by-step through how you can make your own Paper Gift Box for Mother’s Day or any other special ocassion.
DIY Paper Gift Box Tutorial
- Craft paper or cardstock in 3-4 of your favorite colors
- Sharp scissors
- Craft glue
- Thin ribbon or embroidery floss in one or more colors
- Pencil (to trace the template)
- Trace the large pattern from the template onto a piece of thick craft paper or cardstock.
- Carefully cut out the pattern you traced along its outer edge.
- Use a small pointy object to create folds along the inner parts of the cut out pattern.
- Fold the lines overlapping both circles to create a box pattern.
- Bring one part (of the circle) over the other one and join the sides (do not glue the sides) to complete the box. Place the gift inside the box before closing it. Use a small ribbon or embroidery floss to wrap the secure the box.
- Select colored craft papers for flowers and green craft paper for the leaves. Trace and cut out 3 the leaf patterns from the green craft paper. Trace the spiral pattern on the colored papers. Take the spiral paper and start to roll it from its outer edge.
- Keep rolling the spiral pattern until reaching the center. Glue the center and bottom edge of the roll together to secure the roll. Similarly create 2 more rolled roses.
- Glue the flowers on the top side of the box. It’s better to glue the flowers on the center.
- When you’re done adhering the flowers onto the box, it’s time to glue the leaves in between 2 flowers. You can add more leaves if you you’d like to.
- You can add more details and different colors for variation of your DIY gift box.