This is the best homemade ranch dressing recipe on the Internet. The recipe is buttermilk based and utilizes fresh herbs. And this ranch dressing is more like what you will find made fresh in a restaurant and tastes better than anything out of a bottle.
The Best Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Add mayonnaise and buttermilk into a small mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add all other ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight dressing container or pint-sized mason jar.
See Tips Below!!!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips How to Make Ranch Dressing Taste Better
After you make it… chill it in the fridge for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to combine. I promise it’ll taste even better if you let it chill for at least 2 hours though.
It’s Not Tangy Enough!!!
You can add fresh-squeezed lemon juice or white vinegar to help tang it up.
I suggest starting with 1/2 a teaspoon, mixing, taste testing… then taste testing again… before adding for more.
The wonderful thing about ranch dressing is, once you have your base dressing… you can make all sorts of additions that’ll leave your ranch popping with flavor. Here are some great ideas you can try:
Spice It Up… Cajun Style Ranch
Adding 1-2 teaspoons (to taste) of my Cajun Seasoning is always a family favorite here.
Mexican is for Dinner and I Want Ranch!!!
Add 1-2 teaspoons (to taste) of my Taco Seasoning to your ranch. Oh yes, this is a great idea.
Bacon and Parmesan Ranch
Bacon makes everything better, especially when you add cheese.
With this recipe, adding 3 or 4 crumpled up pieces of crispy cooked bacon along with 2 heaping tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan is oh, so amazing.
Bacon and Cheddar Ranch
Just like above… bacon and cheese make everything better.
With this recipe, adding 3 or 4 crumpled up pieces of crispy cooked bacon along with 3 heaping tablespoons of freshly grated cheddar.
This is a family favorite used as a condiment on a cheeseburger.
I Like Chipotle Ranch Better.
Okay then… you’re on the wrong blog post. You need to go check out my Southwest Chicken Salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing recipe.
But I Don’t Have Fresh Herbs!!!
No worries. To substitute dried herbs, use 3 tablespoons of my homemade ranch seasoning blend.
- If you use dried herbs, it’s best to let the dressing sit overnight after you make it so the dried herbs can fully re-hydrate.
- If you choose to not let it sit… it might be a bit crunchy!!!
How Long will Homemade Ranch Dressing Last?
Well, first off… this shouldn’t even be a question… as it should be consumed all in one sitting.
And, if you have more self-control than me it’s usually best within 7-10 days.
- A rule of thumb I follow is, the homemade ranch dressing will last in the refrigerator for as long as the earliest expiration date on the buttermilk or mayonnaise at the longest.
- And if it smells funny or tastes funny at the 7-10 day mark, it’s best just to toss it.
Bonus: How to Make Buttermilk?
So you don’t have buttermilk for the recipe… no worries. You can easily make some… and here are 3 ways how.
- 3/4 Tablespoon of white vinegar + 3/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 Tablespoon of lemon juice + 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar + 3/4 cup of milk
Regardless of which way you go, take the ingredients and mix them together for about 5 minutes until the milk starts to curdle and boom, you have buttermilk.
Bonus: Substitute Greek Yogurt for Buttermilk?
Yes… you can substitute plain Greek Yogurt on a 1:1 basis for buttermilk.
- No, it doesn’t taste the same. It has a completely different flavor… and… it tastes good, generally if you like Greek Yogurt.
- When substituting Greek Yogurt, I add 1/2 cup 1st… then add the last 1/4 cup slowly to taste.
- Every Greek Yogurt is different, so it’s better to go easy than to charge.
Bonus: How to Make Ranch Dip!!!
Want to make a ranch dip instead of ranch dressing?
Simply swap sour cream for the buttermilk at a 1:1 ratio in the recipe.
- Use full-fat sour cream… if you use the “light” stuff it tastes less than good, IMHO.
- This will last for about 4-5 days tops in the refrigerator.
Regardless if you change the recipe up or not, this is the best homemade ranch dressing recipe you’ll find. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does.