This is the best gluten free meatloaf you’ll ever make. It’s a classic recipe I’ve been perfecting for years and can be made in the oven or Instant Pot!
It’s super easy to make the gluten free version of my meatloaf recipe. And, it comes out amazing no matter whether you choose to pressure cook it in your Instant Pot or bake it or bake it in your oven.
While I personally prefer to make meatloaf with gluten free breadcrumbs, it can also be made with rolled oats or rice. It’s delicious no matter which option you choose.
I love how it’s a very versatile dinner that’s kid friendly too. My whole family enjoys it, so it’s on regular rotation in our meal plans.
- Meatloaf Ingredients
- Glaze Ingredients
- By the Numbers: How to Make the Best Gluten Free Meatloaf
- Tips for Making Gluten Free Meatloaf
- 1. How to make spicy gluten free meatloaf?
- 2. Which gluten free breadcrumbs are best?
- 3. How can I make gluten free meatloaf without bread crumbs?
- 4. Can I make gluten free meatloaf muffins?
- 5. What temperature should meatloaf be?
- 6. How to make it dairy free?
- 7. Do I have to sauté the veggies?
- 8. Can I make gluten free bread crumbs from gluten free breads?
- 9. What type of ground beef is best?
- 10. Can I use another type of ground meat?
- 11. Can I make a traditional loaf shape in the Instant Pot?
- 12. Sides to serve with meatloaf?
- 13. What to do with leftovers?
- Gluten-Free Meatloaf Recipe
- Popular Gluten Free Recipes
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup of diced onion
- ½ cup of diced bell pepper
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of gluten free breadcrumbs
- ½ cup of ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ⅔ cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of tabasco
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting Board
- Frying pan
- Loaf pan
- Silicone spatula
By the Numbers: How to Make the Best Gluten Free Meatloaf
Follow these simple step by step instructions to learn how to make the best meatloaf in your Instant Pot or oven.
Meatloaf Prep Directions
You’ll follow these 3 steps, no matter which cooking method you choose to use.
Step 1: Cook Veggies.
Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a small frying pan. Cook ⅔ cup of diced onion, ½ cup of diced bell pepper and 2 cloves of minced garlic in the oil just until the veggies are softened. Once they’re cooked, transfer them to a large mixing bowl and allow them to cool down.
Step 2: Mix Meatloaf Ingredients.
Once cool, add 2 pounds of ground beef; 2 eggs; ¾ cup of gluten free breadcrumbs; ½ cup of ketchup; 1 ½ tablespoons of Italian seasoning; ½ teaspoon of sea salt; 2 tablespoons of whole milk; and 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce to the bowl and mix well using your hands. You want to make sure everything is evenly combined.
Step 3: Prepare Glaze.
In a small bowl, whisk together ⅔ cup of ketchup; 2 tablespoons of raw honey; 1 teaspoon of mustard; and ¼ teaspoon of tabasco. Once it’s well combined, set it aside.
Oven Cooking Directions
If you want to bake your meatloaf in the oven, follow these cooking instructions.
Step 1: Press Meatloaf Into Pan
Preheat your oven to 375° F. While the oven is pre-heating, press your meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan. You can use a silicone spatula to smooth out the top.
Step 2: Bake Meatloaf.
Place the meatloaf pan in your oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven so you can add the glaze.
Step 3: Glaze Meatloaf.
Pour the glaze you prepared earlier over the top of the meatloaf, making sure to cover it evenly.
Step 4: Bake Meatloaf Again.
Once you’re done glazing it, put the meatloaf pan back into your oven for another 20-30 minutes. It’s done when the glaze is bubbling and the meatloaf is cooked to an internal temperature of 160° F.
Step 5: Serve Classic Meatloaf.
Once it’s done, you can slice your meatloaf and serve it with your favorite side dishes. See below for some of my family’s favorite sides to eat with meatloaf.
Instant Pot Cooking Directions
If you want to pressure cook your meatloaf in your Instant Pot, follow these cooking instructions.
Step 1: Press Meatloaf Into Pan.
Press your meat mixture into a pan that fits into your Instant Pot. I personally use a 9” cake pan but anything that fits will work. You can line it with foil or parchment paper, but it’s not necessary.
Step 2: Glaze Meatloaf and Transfer to Instant Pot.
Spread the glaze you made evenly over the top of the meatloaf, then put your pan into a silicone sling (or foil sleeve) and lower it carefully down into your Instant Pot. You don’t need the rack if you use a silicone sleeve, but you will if you use a foil sleeve.
Step 3: Pressure Cook Meatloaf and Serve.
Press the Pressure Cook button and set it on High Pressure for 30 minutes. When the cook time is up, allow for a full natural pressure release. Open the lid and remove the sling and pan from the Instant Pot. Slice the meatloaf and serve it along with your favorite side dishes. I share some of our favorite sides below.
Tips for Making Gluten Free Meatloaf
Answers to all of your questions about making one of my favorite comfort foods … classic meatloaf.
1. How to make spicy gluten free meatloaf?
To make your meatloaf spicy, add diced jalapeno to the bell pepper and onion combination. Then add 1-2 teaspoons of tabasco hot sauce to the glaze mixture and you’ll have a delicious spicy gluten free meatloaf.
2. Which gluten free breadcrumbs are best?
I like these Michelle Farms Italian Bread Crumbs. They’re certified gluten free and you can get them in plain or Italian flavors.
You can also make your own bread crumbs with homemade gluten free bread.
3. How can I make gluten free meatloaf without bread crumbs?
You can also make gluten free meatloaf with GF oats or rice. Oatmeal will make a denser meatloaf like breadcrumbs and rice will make a lighter, fluffier loaf. I don’t recommend using almond flour or coconut flour in meatloaf.
4. Can I make gluten free meatloaf muffins?
Yes, to make individual portions, you can use a muffin pan, but you’ll need to adjust the cooking time. Cook the meatloaf mixture at 350° F for 25 minutes or done.
5. What temperature should meatloaf be?
Meatloaf should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160° F. I like this digital meat thermometer.
6. How to make it dairy free?
All you have to do is substitute your favorite non-dairy milk for the milk in this recipe and it’s dairy free.
7. Do I have to sauté the veggies?
It’s not absolutely necessary, but it really adds to the flavor of the meat loaf. I always sauté them unless I’m very short on time.
8. Can I make gluten free bread crumbs from gluten free breads?
Sure! Just let your gluten free bread dry out, then grind it down into crumbs. You can use a mortar and pestle, blender, food processor or coffee grinder.
9. What type of ground beef is best?
While I love the quality of the meat from ButcherBox (read my ButcherBox review), I find that if you use ground beef with extra fat for this recipe, you’ll get a more moist and flavorful final result compared to using grass fed, lean ground beef.
One place you can buy ground beef that makes a moist meatloaf is Perdue Farms (they usually have specials on multiple brands of meat). Or check out my list of the places I like to order meat delivery.
10. Can I use another type of ground meat?
While I prefer ground beef, you can use other types of ground meat:
- Ground pork will make greasier meat loaf.
- Ground turkey or ground chicken will make a drier loaf.
- Ground lamb will make a nice, tender loaf.
11. Can I make a traditional loaf shape in the Instant Pot?
There are mini loaf pans that fit into the Instant Pot. However, you will get smaller loaves and end up with 2 pans to wash instead of 1, which is why I typically use a cake pan.
12. Sides to serve with meatloaf?
Some of my favorite side dish recipes to serve with this gluten free meatloaf are:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Oven Baked Hasselback Potatoes
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Bacon and Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Garlic Bell Peppers
- Instant Pot Vegetables
13. What to do with leftovers?
We rarely have leftovers, but when we do, I typically reheat it in the toaster oven for lunch and add a little extra ketchup for moisture. It’s also delicious in a meatloaf sandwich the next day!
Gluten-Free Meatloaf Recipe
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon tabasco - optional
- Cook the onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil in a small frying pan until softened, then transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Once cool, add the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs and spices to the bowl and mix with your hands until it's well combined
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Press the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Pour the glaze evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for another 20-30 minutes, or until the glaze is bubbly and the meatloaf is cooked to an internal temperature of 160° F.
- Slice and serve with your favorite sides.
Instant Pot Directions
- Press your meat mixture into a pan that fits into your Instant Pot.
- Spread the glaze evenly over the meatloaf, then put the pan into a silicone sling and lower it into your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes then allow the pressure to release naturally. Open the lid and remove the pan from the pot. Slice the meatloaf and serve with your favorite sides.