This is the best gluten free meatloaf you’ll ever make. It’s a classic recipe I’ve been perfecting for years.
You can make the gluten free version of my meatloaf recipe in the oven or in the Instant Pot. It’s super easy and comes out amazing either way.
While I prefer to make meatloaf with gluten free breadcrumbs, it can also be made with rolled oats or rice.
Gluten-Free Meatloaf Recipe
- Cook the onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil in a small frying pan. Cook just until softened, then transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Once cool, add the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs and spices to the bowl and mix well using your hands. You want to make sure everything is evenly combined.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. While the oven is pre-heating, press your meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Pour the glaze evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Put the meatloaf back into the oven for another 20-30 minutes, or until the glaze is bubbling and the meatloaf is cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Slice then serve with your favorite sides. See below for some ideas.
Instant Pot Directions
- Press your meat mixture into a pan that fits into your Instant Pot. I use a 9” cake pan. You can line it with foil or parchment paper, but it’s not necessary.
- Spread the glaze evenly over the meatloaf, then put your pan into a silicone sling (or foil sleeve) and lower down into your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, then allow a natural pressure release. Open the lid and remove the sling and pan from the pot. Slice the meatloaf and serve along with your favorite sides. I share some of our favorites below.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips for Making Gluten Free Meatloaf
Answers to all of your questions about making one of my favorite comfort foods … classic meatloaf.
1. How to make spicy gluten free meatloaf?
To make your meatloaf spicy, add diced jalapeno to the bell pepper and onion combination. Then add 1-2 teaspoons of tabasco hot sauce to the glaze mixture and you’ll have a delicious spicy gluten free meatloaf.
2. Which gluten free breadcrumbs are best?
I like these Michelle Farms Italian Bread Crumbs. They’re certified gluten free and you can get them in plain or Italian flavors.
3. How can I make gluten free meatloaf without bread crumbs?
You can also make gluten free meatloaf with GF oats or rice. Oatmeal will make a denser meatloaf like breadcrumbs and rice will make a lighter, fluffier loaf. I don’t recommend using almond flour or coconut flour in meatloaf.
4. Can I make gluten free meatloaf muffins?
Yes, to make individual portions, you can use a muffin pan, but you’ll need to adjust the cooking time. Cook the meatloaf mixture at 350° F for 25 minutes or done.
5. What temperature should meatloaf be?
Meatloaf should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160° F. I like this digital meat thermometer.
6. How to make it dairy free?
All you have to do is substitute your favorite non-dairy milk for the milk in this recipe and it’s dairy free.
7. Do I have to sauté the veggies?
It’s not absolutely necessary, but it really adds to the flavor of the meat loaf. I always sauté them unless I’m very short on time.
8. Can I make gluten free bread crumbs from gluten free breads?
Sure! Just let your gluten free bread dry out, then grind it down into crumbs. You can use a mortar and pestle, blender, food processor or coffee grinder.
9. What type of ground beef is best?
While I love the quality of the meat from ButcherBox, I find that if you use ground beef with extra fat for this recipe, you’ll get a more moist and flavorful final result compared to using grass fed, lean ground beef.
One place you can buy ground beef that makes a moist meatloaf is Perdue Farms (they usually have specials on multiple brands of meat).
10. Can I use another type of ground meat?
While I prefer ground beef, you can use other types of ground meat:
- Ground pork will make greasier meat loaf.
- Ground turkey or ground chicken will make a drier loaf.
- Ground lamb will make a nice, tender loaf.
11. Can I make a traditional loaf shape in the Instant Pot?
There are mini loaf pans that fit into the Instant Pot. However, you will get smaller loaves and end up with 2 pans to wash instead of 1, which is why I typically use a cake pan.
12. Easy dinner pairing ideas…
13. What to do with leftovers?
We rarely have leftovers, but when we do, I typically reheat it in the toaster oven for lunch and add a little extra ketchup for moisture. It’s also delicious in a meatloaf sandwich the next day!