Making Basmati Rice in the Instant Pot is quick and easy. Unlike jasmine rice, basmati rice doesn’t need to be rinsed, making it a great side dish for busy nights.
Our recipe will show you just how simple it is to make perfect Basmati rice every single time in an electric pressure cooker. You can put away your rice cooker!
Instant Pot Basmati Rice Recipe
- Add unrinsed basmati rice and filtered water to the Instant Pot, then stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to the sealing position and cook for 3 minutes on High Pressure (using pressure cook or manual). Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Open the lid and gently stir for fluffy rice.
- Serve your white basmati rice with your favorite dishes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips for Making Perfect Instant Pot Basmati Rice
1. Why don’t you use the Rice setting?
That setting is actually meant for standard long grain rice. It typically has a 12 minute cook time, and I don’t find you need that long to cook basmati rice.
2. Does the brand of rice matter?
Yes, I do find that the quality and dryness of rice varies by brand of rice, and even bag to bag. Older rice is drier and absorbs more water. I typically use Royal Basmati Rice.
3. How can I make more or less rice?
If you want to make a different quantity of rice, you’ll want to use a ratio of ¾ cup white basmati rice to 1 ¼ cups cold water.
4. How to get rice to not stick to the bottom of the pot?
I don’t find that basmati rice sticks to the bottom of the pot if it’s cooked right. However, every pot is different, and if you’re having trouble with your sticking, try pouring the water in first, then adding the rice gently without stirring.
If that doesn’t work, try the pot in pot method so the rice doesn’t touch the bottom of the main pot.
5. I accidentally rinsed the rice!!!
No worries, rinsed rice will absorb less water, so you’ll need to decrease the water by a couple tablespoons.
6. Do I have to soak the rice?
No, that’s one of the best things about making rice in an Instant Pot pressure cooker. No soaking necessary.
7. What about brown basmati rice?
While I prefer white rice, the cooking time for brown basmati rice is 22 minutes.
8. What can I serve with basmati rice?
I like to serve it with Indian food like curries as well as my Thai Coconut Curry.
9. How to store leftovers?
If you have leftovers, be sure to store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
10. Difference between basmati and jasmine rice?
Basmati rice is a North Indian grain that produces drier, individual rice grains with a nutty flavor. There’s no need to rinse rice with basmati.
Jasmine, on the other hand, is a sticky rice that’s slightly sweet and fragrant. It’s a more difficult grain to make correctly.
Another plus is that basmati rice yields more cooked rice than jasmine because it absorbs more water.
11. Can I cook jasmine rice using this recipe?
No, you’ll need to use a different ratio of rice to water. Check out my Instant Pot Jasmine Rice recipe to learn how to make that type of rice perfect every time.
Also be sure to check out all of our delicious Instant Pot rice recipes!