A slow cooker is a busy mom’s best friend! My traditional navy bean soup recipe make a delicious, filling meal that’s easy to prepare in the crock pot using healthy ingredients.
I love a good bean soup recipe during the cold winter months. Fortunately, my whole family loves soup, so we’re always trying new soup recipes.
This slow cooker navy bean soup recipe is quick and easy to make. It’s filling too so it makes a great meal. And it’s kid friendly too.
All you need are a few healthy ingredients and you’ll be able to whip up this navy bean soup recipe in the crock pot. I love using my slow cooker for soups because I can either prep everything the night before and just turn it on in the morning or I can toss things in throughout the day when I have spare time.
The slow cooker is truly a busy mom’s best friend! Although my Instant Pot is very quickly becoming a bestie too (I have a great Instant Pot Spicy Bean Soup recipe). It saves me so much time and frustration with meal prep on busy days.
If you’re looking for a delicious, slow cooker navy bean soup recipe using simple real food ingredients, give this one a try. Your family will love it!
Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- ½ pound carrots - sliced into thin rounds
- 4 stalks celery - sliced
- 1 pound dry navy beans - you do not need to soak these overnight
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock
- Start off by adding Navy Beans to a large stockpot and boil for 10 minutes.
- While the navy beans are boiling, prepare your vegetables. Add the olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to a large slow cooker.
- Drain your beans and sort through the beans and remove any debris or stones. Give them a quick rinse and then add them to the slow cooker, along with the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, paprika and some freshly cracked pepper.
- Add six cups of chicken stock to the slow cooker stir carefully to combine the ingredients. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or on high for 4-5 hours.
- After 8 hours, stir the soup and mash the beans slightly to thicken up the soup to your desired consistency.
- You'll want to add some sea salt before serving to make the flavors pop. Starting with ½ teaspoon, add salt to your taste. I used about 1 teaspoon total, but keep tasting and adding more, ½ teaspoon at a time, until it reaches the level that you prefer. Serve topped with a sprig of cilantro, if desired.