Learn how to make scented wax tarts with natural ingredients in this easy DIY natural wax melts recipe. These handmade coconut oil melts are edible too!
I typically use an essential oil diffuser to scent our home, but wax warmers just seem so cozy this time of year! While I love tealight oil warmers, you can let electric wax warmers run all day without risk of fire.
Instead of buying more wax tarts when I ran out, I decided to make my own. I’m not sure why I didn’t add this DIY project to my list sooner, because it’s way more affordable than buying them.
All you have to do is make up a batch or two of these all natural edible wax warmer cubes with coconut oil. They’re super easy to make and you can scent them however you like using essential oils or natural flavoring oils.
I love this option because if your little ones happen to get their hands on them and eat them, it’s totally safe! All they’ll get is a serving of coconut oil and natural flavorings.
Some people like to add a tablespoon or two of beeswax or soy wax to the mix to keep them from melting in the hot summer months. If you don’t add any wax, consider keeping your coconut oil melts in the fridge until you’re ready to use them.
How to Make Coconut Oil Melts for Wax Warmers
- 2.5 ounces coconut oil
- Essential oils
- Candy flavoring oils
- Wax melt tray (you can buy new ones or cut the top off a used one)
- Double Boiler
- Add the coconut oil to a double boiler and heat until melted. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite food extract or candy flavoring oil into coconut oil (or alternatively use can use 20-30 drops of essential oils).
- Pour into your wax melt mold.
- Place the mold in the freezer until it's solid and firm, then remove from freezer and pop your coconut oil melts out of the mold.
- Store your wax melt cubes in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them.