Asian Slaw is one of my favorite recipes to make for summer time potlucks and BBQs. This delicious dish is a nice change from standard summer salads with its unique flavor and zesty dressing.
This easy recipe uses only a handful of ingredients to make the perfect side dish for many meals. It’s gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
It’s always a huge hit whenever I make it. I hope your whole family enjoys this crunchy Asian Slaw as much as mine.
Asian Slaw Recipe
Asian Slaw Dressing Ingredients
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ jalapeno - seeded and minced (use less for less heat)
Asian Slaw Ingredients
- 1 head green cabbage - sliced into thin strips
- ¼ cup red onion - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
- ½ cup celery - diced
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Mason Jar
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic and jalapeno. Pour into a mason jar then place in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour. Shake a few times if you remember. It’s best to make the Asian slaw dressing the day you plan to use it as it has a short shelf life.
- Add the cabbage, onion, cilantro leaves, parsley, celery and peanuts to a large bowl and toss until well combined.
- Just before you’re ready to serve your Asian Slaw, pour the marinated dressing over the cabbage mixture, then toss until well combined. Garnish with more fresh herbs, if desired.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips for Making Asian Slaw
1. Can it be served as a main dish?
If you’re looking for a main course salad to serve for lunch or dinner, add grilled chicken or shrimp before serving.
2. Are the peanuts required?
While I think peanuts make the recipe, you can omit them, serve them on the side or replace them with cashews.
3. Can I substitute other types of cabbage?
Napa cabbage is also great in this easy coleslaw recipe (I also use it in my Homemade Kimchi). Purple cabbage works, but I prefer green or Napa.
4. Can I use prepackaged coleslaw mix?
Yes, if you don’t want to shred cabbage yourself, you can use a prepackaged cole slaw mixture. It’s okay if it has other veggies in it like carrots.
5. Is this Asian Slaw good leftover?
Yes, it still tastes great the next day. Asian Slaw keeps well for only 1-2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s not as crisp the next day, but the flavor really gets infused into the slaw.
6. What to serve with Asian Slaw?
Asian Slaw is such a versatile side dish! It pairs well as a side salad with: