Instant Pot Carne Asada makes a great dinner on Taco Tuesday or any night you’re craving Mexican food!
Your whole family will love this easy recipe after trying it for the first time. Our marinade uses simple ingredients, is super flavorful and results in tender beef every time.
Best of all, making carne asada in the Instant Pot is so much faster and easier than standing over a hot grill!
- By the Numbers: How to Make Instant Pot Carne Asada
- Step 2: Make Your Carne Asada Marinade.
- Tips for the Best Instant Pot Carne Asada Tacos
- Instant Pot Carne Asada Recipe
- Skirt Steak
- Lime Juice
- Lemon Juice
- Orange Juice
- Gluten-free Soy Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Fresh Garlic
- Sea Salt
- Chile Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Onion
- Corn Tortillas
- Pico De Gallo
By the Numbers: How to Make Instant Pot Carne Asada
Step 1: Cut the Skirt Steak.
The first thing you want to do is cut the entire 2 pounds of skirt steak into ¼” pieces. Place the chopped steak in a mixing bowl that you can use to marinate the meat in.
Step 2: Make Your Carne Asada Marinade.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for your marinade: ½ cup of fresh squeezed lime juice; ¼ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice; ¼ cup of fresh squeezed orange juice; ¼ cup of gluten free soy sauce; 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar; 1 teaspoon of minced garlic; 1 teaspoon of sea salt; 1 tablespoon of chile powder; 1 teaspoon of cumin powder; and ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Step 3: Marinate the Steak.
Pour your carne asada marinade over the chopped steak in the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Tightly cover with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
I typically marinate my carne asada overnight so it has full flavors, but you can cook it after 3 hours.
Step 4: Sauté Onions.
When it’s time to make dinner, turn your Instant Pot onto Sauté mode. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the inner pot to warm, then add ½ cup of onions.
Cook the onions until they start to become translucent, which should take around 2-3 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
Step 5: Cook Carne Asada.
You can take the marinated skirt steak out of the fridge now and pour the entire contents of the bowl into the inner pan of your Instant Pot. Place the lid on it, seal the valve and and set it to pressure cook on High Pressure for 6 minutes.
When it’s done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 15 minutes (a full natural release will make more tender meat). Quick release any pressure that’s left in the pot, then open the lid.
Step 6: Serve the Carne Asada.
Transfer the carne asada from the Instant Pot to a serving platter or bowl using tongs.
Add your carne asada to a warmed corn tortilla. Top with your favorite toppings like pico de gallo, guacamole, lime juice, etc. Keep reading for more topping ideas!
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Carne Asada Tacos
1. Isn’t carne asada traditionally made on a grill?
Yes. Carne Asada literally means grilled meat. However, not all of us live somewhere where we can grill year round, so I adapted this recipe from the grill for an electric pressure cooker.
I make this recipe for my family regularly, so it has been very well tested. It’s a regular on our meal plans!
2. What other types of steak can you use?
If you want to use another cut of meat, I recommend flank steak. I’ve also made it with New York Strip and Sirloin Steak, both of which were delicious!
Any cut of steak should work, but I don’t recommend using a roast (it will turn into shredded beef).
3. Favorite taco toppings?
In addition to pico de gallo, some of my favorite toppings for carne asada tacos are fresh cilantro, homemade sour cream, guacamole, fresh lime juice and cotija cheese.
4. Other ways to serve carne asada?
You can serve your carne asada on corn or flour tortillas. If you don’t want to make street tacos, carne asada is also great in burritos, burrito bowls, lettuce wraps, on nachos and my personal favorite is Carne Asada Fries!
5. What sides should I serve with street tacos?
6. How to store leftovers?
If you have any leftover carne asada (we rarely do), it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
7. Can it be made in a slow cooker?
Yes, follow steps 1-3 above. When you’re ready to cook your carne asada, dump everything into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
8. Where to buy beef online?
I love doing as much grocery shopping online as I can. One of my favorite places to get beef is Butcher Box (check out their current new member special). All of their meat is super high quality – grassfed, pastured, organic and so delicious!
If you love these Instant Pot Street Tacos, be sure to try out Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef recipe next!
Pin this post to your Instant Pot, Mexican Food or Dinner boards.
Instant Pot Carne Asada Recipe
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red onion - finely chopped
- 16 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup pico de gallo
- Cutting Board
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Instant Pot
- Cut the skirt steak into ¼” pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the sliced steak and cover. Place steak in the refrigerator to marinade for at least 3 hours. I often marinade overnight for maximum flavor.
- When you’re ready to cook your carne asada, turn your Instant Pot onto Sauté mode. Add the olive oil and ½ cup of onions and cook until they start to become translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Turn off your Instant Pot. Add the marinated skirt steak along with all of the marinade to the inner pan, close the lid and turn the Instant Pot on High Pressure for 6 minutes.
- Once the time is up, use a natural pressure release for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Open the lid. Using tongs, transfer carne asada to a serving platter or bowl.
- To serve, add carne asada to warmed tortilla, then top with pico de gallo, extra lime juice and/or other toppings of your choice (see below for ideas).