Steamed and baked artichokes are quite popular (and tasty), but did you know the fastest way to make them is in the Instant Pot?
Not only is it a quick and easy way, but Instant Pot Artichokes literally melt in your mouth! And the flavor and texture is really amazing too.
All you need are a few simple ingredients – artichokes, water, and olive oil spray – to make this easy side dish recipe.
Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe
- 2 fresh artichokes
- 1 cup filtered water
- Olive oil spray
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice - optional
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cups
- Instant Pot Steamer Rack or Steamer Basket
- Wash, then slice your artichokes in half length-wise with a sharp knife.
- Scoop the hairy insides out of each artichoke half and discard them. Remove the small outer leaves. Cut the sharp thorn tips off of the artichoke petals with scissors, then rinse the halves.
- Place a steamer insert into the bottom of the Instant Pot inner pot, add the water, then arrange the artichokes in a single layer on the steamer, stem side down. Spray the cut surfaces of the artichoke halves with extra virgin olive oil. If you like a tangy flavor, you can spray or sprinkle freshly squeezed lemon juice over them as well (or add some to the water).
- Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to Sealing, then set it on manual High Pressure for 15 minutes. Once the cooking is done, use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Serve the artichokes with one of your favorite dips (see below for ideas). They're great alone too!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Artichokes
You’ll never make artichokes using a more traditional method again after making them in the Instant Pot for the first time.
1. What’s different when you cook whole artichokes?
If you want minimal prep, you can also cook your artichokes whole. If you do, you’ll want to cook them stem side up instead of down.
We prefer to cook halves instead of whole artichokes because no one has to deal with the hairy insides at the dinner table. Huge bonus with kids.
2. Cook time for small to large artichokes?
The cooking time will vary, depending on the size of your artichokes. Here are the general times for pressure cooker artichokes:
- Small artichokes (2″ wide). Halves: 6 minutes. Whole: 10 minutes.
- Medium artichokes (3″ wide). Halves: 10 minutes. Whole: 15 minutes.
- Large artichokes (4-5″ wide). Halves: 15 minutes. Whole: 25 minutes.
3. How to eat artichokes
Use your teeth to eat the “meat” off of each of the artichoke leaves after dipping them in your favorite sauce, if desired. Then, when you’ve eaten all of the leaves, you get to enjoy the artichoke heart – the best part!
4. Favorite dipping sauce ideas?
If you want to dip your artichoke in something tasty, try one of these options:
- Garlic Butter (melt butter and minced garlic cloves in a small saucepan on the stove top)
- Melted Butter infused with fresh herbs (instead of garlic)
- Garlic Aioli (store bought or homemade)
- Lemon Mayo (lemon juice and mayo mixed together)
- Plain Mayo
5. Can I use an 8-quart Instant Pot?
Yes, you’ll be able to fit more artichokes into an 8-quart model. You’ll want to increase the water to 1 ½ cups if you use the larger Instant Pot.
6. How to store leftovers.
Store your leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container or plastic bags and use within 2-3 days.
7. Best pairing ideas?
8. Where to buy produce online?
I like to shop for produce online, including artichokes, rather than relying on the grocery store. You can often get them online, even when it’s not artichoke season (peak growing season is March to May in California). Read about some of the best places to order fresh produce online.