Our semi-homemade Cream of Tomato soup recipe is an easy and delicious alternative to canned soups.
You know how there are some flavors that just bring you back to your childhood? Cream of Tomato soup is one of those flavors for me.
Over the years as I’ve started making more things from scratch, the stuff from the can just doesn’t do it for me anymore. That’s why I started making my own homemade cream of tomato soup. You’d be surprised by how easy it really can be… especially when you make it in an Instant Pot!
This recipe is actually more of a semi-homemade recipe since it does use canned tomatoes. That’s why it’s such a quick recipe to make. You can vary the flavor a bit by choosing canned tomatoes that are roasted or with garlic and Italian spices added.
Instant Pot Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe
- Add butter to the Instant Pot pan on Saute mode until melted, then add the diced onion and saute until it starts to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, and continue to saute until the onions and garlic are soft.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sea salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on Soup mode for 5 minutes. When the time is up, allow for natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir in the heavy cream. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a smoother texture. For the smoothest texture, you can blend the cream of tomato soup in a blender.
- Serve in bowls garnished with fresh basil. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.