Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef makes the best street tacos! This authentic Mexican beef recipe is easy to make and pairs well with a variety of toppings.
Our recipe uses simple ingredients so you can easily recreate your favorite dish from Chipotle or a local Mexican restaurant. It’s super flavorful and spicy (see tips below to adjust spice level).
Whether you make it for Taco Tuesday or Sunday dinner, your whole family will love this delicious recipe.
Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef Recipe
- 3 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion - sliced into thin rounds and quartered
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ tablespoon sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves - minced
- 3 chipotle chili peppers in adobe sauce
- 16 corn tortillas
- Toppings of your choice - see below for ideas
- Cutting Board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients (beef roast, chicken stock, onion slices, cilantro, taco seasoning, sea salt, garlic and chipotle peppers) to the inner pot of your Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, then set it on High Pressure for 1 hour. When the barbacoa is done cooking, use a full natural pressure release. Do not quick release the pressure. Open the lid once all pressure is dissipated.
- Use tongs to remove the Barbacoa meat from the Instant Pot and transfer to a serving platter. It should be tender enough to pull apart with tongs or shred with a fork. If you want a milder Barbacoa, remove the chipotle chilis before shredding. If you want a spicier Barbacoa, shred the roast, allowing the chipotle pepper to break down into the shredded beef. You can even mix in a little extra adobo sauce from the can if you want more heat.
- Serve your Instant Pot Barbacoa on warm corn tortillas with your favorite toppings like fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro and diced onion. See below for more ideas.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips for Making the Best Instant Pot Barbacoa
1. Can I use beef broth instead?
Yes, I love using beef broth when I make barbacoa. However, I always have chicken stock on hand (see my homemade chicken stock recipe), which is why I use it in this recipe.
Kettle and Fire has an amazing beef broth that tastes great in this recipe.
2. Cook time for larger or smaller roasts
If you want tender meat, it’s important to use the right cooking time. For this particular cut of beef, you want to pressure cook it for about 20 minutes per pound.
- If your roast is 3 pounds like mine, pressure cook it for 60 minutes.
- If you have a 5 pound roast, cook it for 100 minutes, or 1 hour 40 minutes.
- For a 2 pound roast, decrease the cook time to 40 minutes.
If your barbacoa still isn’t tender after cooking, you can cook it for longer. Beef roasts tend to get more tender the longer they are pressure cooked.
If your roast took longer than expected, take note of the final cooking time for the next time you make this recipe.
3. How to serve Mexican barbacoa?
Some of my favorite sides to serve with Instant Pot barbacoa tacos are:
4. Barbacoa taco topping ideas?
5. How to store leftover barbacoa?
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Be sure to keep the cooking liquid! Use within 3-4 days.
6. How to reheat barbacoa?
We usually shred it, then put it in a covered pan on the stovetop with the reserved cooking liquid. Reheat on low so it doesn’t dry out.
7. Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker?
Yes, just layer all of the ingredients in your slow cooker the same way shown in the recipe above. Then slow cook on low for 8 hours for tender slow cooker barbacoa.
8. What is traditional barbacoa made from?
Traditionally, barbacoa is made from beef cheek meat. However, beef cheeks are not something most of us have in our freezers. You can also make barbacoa with beef roasts, which most of us have access to.
9. Where to buy beef online?
I do a lot of online shopping to keep our freezer and pantry stocked so we always have beef chuck roasts to make this Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef recipe. Read more about where I buy meat online and also where I order produce online.