Have you been wondering how to make egg drop soup? Our easy egg drop soup recipe makes the best healthy lunch with authentic Chinese flavor.
We love Chinese food, so I decided to learn how to make egg drop soup (get more Chinese cooking tips). It’s always such a delicious appetizer at Chinese restaurants, but we don’t eat out often.
You will be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to make this simple egg drop soup recipe! The ingredients are super simple.
Best of all, you can make this Chinese egg drop soup recipe as either a starter course with Mongolian Beef or a light meal in itself. This recipe makes enough for four standard sized soup bowls, or eight smaller bowls.
The recipe is gluten and dairy free, and you can make it vegetarian by substituting vegetable stock for chicken stock.
Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- 3 pints chicken stock
- 1 1/3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger - grated
- 3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
- 4 green onions - chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms - hydrated and sliced
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt - to taste
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Sauce Pan
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together ½ cup of chicken stock with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until well combined. Set aside.
- Add the remaining chicken stock, ginger, tamari, green onions, shiitake mushrooms and white pepper to a medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and cornstarch mixture, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, beat the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch into the eggs.
- Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while constantly stirring the soup. The beaten eggs will spindle out into ribbons and the soup will take shape.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with a few more chopped green onions. Serve immediately. Add additional soy sauce or sea salt to taste.