Jump to Directions
Do you celebrate the Chinese New Year or use it as an opportunity to teach your children about other cultures? While Chinese New Year isn’t a holiday we celebrate every year, I do like to educate my daughters about other cultures and their celebrations.
For Chinese New Year, talked about the Chinese Zodiac and they really got a kick out of learning about their own signs. Zoe is a Rat (she didn’t like that, LOL!) and Kaylee is a Tiger.
As part of our cultural explorations, we made pretty Chinese Fans in this simple craft. If you’re looking for a fun craft to also do for Chinese New Year we put together an easy, affordable one.
If you have craft sticks and coffee filters, you have the basic building blocks for an adorable Chinese Fan. And you can decorate them any way you like!
Chinese Fan Craft
- Popsicle Sticks
- Coffee Filters
- Heavy Duty Hole Punch
- Watercolor Markers
- Craft Bond
- Flower Stamps
- Punch holes in the ends of your popsicle sticks.
- Put a brad through the holes in the popsicle sticks.
- Next, cut the coffee filter as shown.
- Then cut the center portion out so you’re left with a long rainbow shape.
- Arrange the coffee filter over the popsicle sticks to create your fan shape, then trim the coffee filter to the appropriate size.
- Using markers or stamps, create a design on the coffee filter.
- Adhere the coffee filter to the popsicle sticks, making sure the pretty side is facing away from the popsicle sticks and the round side of the brad is also facing up.
- Once dry, you can use your Chinese Fan as a fun prop or decoration for your Chinese New Year celebration.