Looking for an authentic Italian meal for dinner? Learn how to make the best Creamy Chicken Marsala in this easy to follow recipe.
The first time I ever had Chicken Marsala, it was at an Italian restaurant in San Diego. I instantly fell in love with the flavors and how it was much lighter than many of the other Italian dishes I’d experienced.
I love lighter meals that I still consider comfort food. Food can taste amazing even when it’s not rich and heavy. I’ve discovered ways to make some of these lighter meals feel richer than they really are.
After some experimenting, I turned my classic Chicken Marsala recipe into a Creamy Chicken Marsala recipe. Even though it seems decadent, it’s actually very light.
It’s so flavorful and the recipe is easy to make too. It’s a very versatile meal that you can serve over pasta, wild rice or mashed potatoes.
Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- Sea salt garlic and black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 Thin-Sliced Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms sliced
- 4 shallot bulbs roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup marsala cooking wine
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- Preheat your oven on the lowest setting (170° F on my oven).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg and milk together. On a small plate, mix sea salt, pepper and garlic powder into the flour. Dip the chicken breast fillets in beaten egg, then dredge in flour.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet or wok and brown each chicken breast fillet in batches.
- After the chicken breast fillets are browned and cooked through, move them to a casserole dish and keep warm in the oven.
- Once all of the chicken breast fillets are in the oven, melt 2 more tablespoons of butter in your skillet. Then add sliced mushrooms, chopped shallots and minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté until the mushrooms’ juices start to release (about 5 minutes). Add Marsala cooking wine and homemade chicken stock to the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until the juice is reduced by half (around 15 minutes).
- Stir in lemon juice and heavy whipping cream and bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low for about 5 minutes to combine all of the flavors.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste. Then pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken in the baking dish, then sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve over wild rice or gluten free pasta.