Learn how to make Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie recipe with beef (Cottage Pie). This gluten free recipe is super easy to make in a cast iron skillet plus it’s paleo too!
Over the years, I have learned to cook a mean Shepherd’s Pie. While I love traditional mashed potatoes, I’ve been trying to get more sweet potatoes into our diet because they’re chock full of nutrients. We often make mashed sweet potatoes, so I thought we’d try a Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie.
It came out wonderful! The sweet potatoes give the Shepherd’s Pie a whole different flavor. It’s sweeter, so I’d venture to say it’s even more kid-friendly than traditional Shepherd’s Pie.
This paleo sweet potato skillet meal is a healthy and delicious choice for St. Patrick’s Day or any night of the year. I hope you enjoy it!
Skillet Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 carrots
- ½ onion
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup filtered water - more if needed
- Fresh parsley - for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350˚ F. Place sweet potatoes on a lightly oiled baking sheet (face down) and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, it’s time to prepare your vegetables. Peel and slice the carrots into bite-sized pieces then dice the onion.
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef, carrots, onions and peas. Use a wooden spoon to break up ground beef as it browns and continue cooking for 12-15 minutes. Once the ground beef is browned and the carrots are tender, add the tomato paste, water and spices to the pan. Stir until well combined, then allow the mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add additional water as needed to keep it from drying out. Taste and adjust the spices if necessary.
- After your sweet potatoes are done baking, remove the pan from the oven and use a spoon to scoop the sweet potato insides from the skins into a bowl and smash with a fork until it's smooth and there are no more chunks. Add olive oil, chili powder and salt to the bowl of sweet potatoes and stir to combine. Remove the cast iron skillet from the heat. Spoon the mashed sweet potato onto the meat and veggie mixture in your cast iron skillet. Smooth it over the top to completely cover, then sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley for garnish (if you'd like).
- Turn your oven to broil on high and place the skillet into the broiler. Remove the pan after 3-5 minutes and serve warm.