Learn how to make the best Vegetarian Tacos with a black bean, sweet potato and corn filling for Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday.
There aren’t a ton of Mexican dishes that are traditionally prepared for vegetarians, but it’s super easy to modify recipes to be veggie based. One of the easiest Mexican meals to prepare with a vegetarian flair are tacos. You can stuff vegetarian tacos with literally anything!
I love how sweet potatoes absorb the flavors of the other foods and spices they’re prepared with, so I like to add them to tacos (and burritos and enchiladas and pretty much anything!). Add some black beans, corn, cheese and the right seasoning and you have vegetarian tacos the whole family will gobble up.
Next time you’re meal planning for Meatless Monday, add these Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos to the lineup. You’ll be glad you did! They cook super fast and they’re delicious too.
This recipe will make 4-6 servings, so if you have a larger family, you can adjust the quantities accordingly. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Vegetarian Tacos Recipe
- 3 sweet potatoes - cubed
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn - drained
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper - more or less depending on taste
- sea salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste
- 12 corn tortillas - may also use flour
- Toppings of your choice - such as feta cheese, cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, guacamole, fresh salsa or sour cream
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Frying pan
- Mixing spoon
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place cubed sweet potatoes on top. Drizzle on 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss potatoes so they’re evenly coated. Sprinkle on the spices and toss again to ensure the spices are evenly distributed. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, tossing half way through.
- While potatoes are baking, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat-high heat. Add diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium-low setting and add corn, black beans, fresh lime juice and honey.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Once potatoes have finished roasting, toss them into the skillet with chopped cilantro.
- Serve sweet potato filling in warm tortillas with feta cheese and additional cilantro as well as any other preferred toppings.