If you love loaded baked potato soup, but you’re on a lower carb diet, this Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe really hits the spot!
After making this creamy cauliflower soup in a pressure cooker, I’m asking myself – why did I wait so long? It’s so incredibly quick and easy to make a meal in this thing that no one should have an excuse that they didn’t have time to make a home cooked meal.
It’s very important to me that I serve healthy, nutritious, home-cooked food to my family. I love my Instant Pot because I can plan ahead for busier days to make something fast in the pressure cooker rather than grabbing a quick pizza on the way home.
It you haven’t taken the dive into pressure cooking either, you should. Most pressure cookers, like the Instant Pot, have very simple operation and lots of versatility.
I also like the safety features on the modern electric pressure cookers like the Instant Pot. When you are pressure cooking, the lid locks and it will not open until the pressure has been released. Unlike my traditional pressure canners, this pressure cooker allows you to release the pressure more quickly so we can have our meal ready pronto.
If you want to make the move towards feeding your family more home-cooked meals, even when you have a busy day, I recommend that you look into investing in an electric pressure cooker.
If you do have an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, give this creamy cauliflower recipe a try! It was a huge hit with the girls from the first time I made it – I got two thumbs up and that doesn’t always happen. They still love this recipe today.
If you like loaded baked potato soup, you’ll love this cauliflower soup. It has the same consistency and flavors, but with far less carbs! It’s actually been mistaken for potato soup by people who “don’t like vegetables” when I’ve served it before!
Even if you think you’re not a cauliflower person, you will be after you try this Creamy Cauliflower Soup. This recipe will allow you to indulge in a comfort meal that’s healthier.
Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- ½ cup butter divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- ¾ cup celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 pounds cauliflower (one large head) chopped into pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 quart homemade chicken broth
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 12 slices uncured bacon cooked and chopped (I like to bake mine ahead of time)
- Chives for topping
- First, measure out and prep all of the ingredients. Once you start cooking, this cauliflower soup will move fast and you want everything ready to go.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in the pressure cooker on the Sauté setting. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, and cook for around 5 minutes or until the veggies are just starting to become tender.
- Next, add the cauliflower, parsley and chicken broth. Lock your pressure cooker lid and set it to cook for 3 minutes on to Low Pressure.
- While your pressure cooker is working, melt ¼ cup of butter in a separate pan on your stove. Whisk in ¼ cup of gluten free flour to form a paste and continue whisking until the mixture starts bubbling, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in 1 ½ cups of organic milk, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until the sauce is thick. Whisk in the salt, pepper and garlic powder, then remove from heat.
- When pressure cooker time is up, let the pressure release naturally for about 5 minutes, then do a quick release (see the pressure cooker instruction book if you need help here). Open the pressure cooker. The cauliflower will still be in chunks, but it will break down quickly when you add the rest of the ingredients.
- Turn your pressure cooker on the Simmer setting, then add the contents of the pan from your stove, 2 cups of cheddar cheese and the sour cream to the pressure cooker and allow the cauliflower soup to simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve the cauliflower soup hot, sprinkling with crumbled bacon, extra cheddar cheese and chives, if desired.