When the weather cools, most families reach for comfort foods like this creamy Loaded Leftover Baked Potato Soup recipe. Since you bake the potatoes the night before, meal prep is quick and easy on the stovetop.
I love making Baked Potato Soup. It’s like the best of having a baked potato, but with lots more creamy goodness.
It’s such a filling meal, especially when you top it with bacon! We’ll eat it quite often for dinner or lunch. It’s so filling it’s rare that we use it as an appetizer.
To make preparation easy, I typically make extra baked potatoes with our dinner the night before so I can refrigerate them overnight.
Then the next day you can use the leftover potatoes to make this delicious and hearty baked potato soup. For some reason, day old baked potatoes just have a flavor that you don’t get with fresh baked potatoes.
If you have other favorite baked potato toppings, you can use those as a garnish in place of cheddar cheese, bacon and chives.
Loaded Leftover Baked Potato Soup
- 8 slices uncured bacon - cooked and chopped (I like to bake mine ahead of time)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 5 cups whole milk
- 5 russet potatoes - baked, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup onion - minced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 4 green onions - chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese - grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cutting Board
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat, then add minced onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Then add the flour and whisk constantly for about a minute.
- Next, whisk in milk slowly and continue to whisk over heat until it starts to thicken.
- Add potatoes, and mash them so that about half of the potatoes are crushed, but there are still some chunks left.
- Stir in half of the green onions and half of the bacon, then bring the soup to a boil
- Once it boils, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, half of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir until combined. Add more milk if the consistency is too thick.
- Serve your leftover loaded baked potato soup while hot topped with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onion.