Learn how to make the best gluten free Zucchini Fritters in this easy appetizer recipe. These veggie fritters also make a kid-friendly summer side dish!
It seems like every summer we have an abundance of zucchini, whether that’s from our CSA produce box or the garden. One recipe I have made for over a decade now is zucchini fritters.
Before I was gluten free, I used all purpose flour. Now I use coconut flour! You need very little compared to other flours plus it’s naturally gluten free.
The flavor of these zucchini fritters is amazing too. The kids gobble them up! They work great as an appetizer, side dish or even afternoon snack!
If you’re looking for a way to use the bounty of your zucchini harvest, give this paleo zucchini fritters recipe a try.
Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- 7 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Coconut oil - for the pan
- Cheese grater
- Cast iron skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Shred your zucchini with a cheese grater (or a food processor) into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the sea salt over the zucchini and and mix well, then allow it to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Next, squeeze as much of the moisture as possible from the zucchini. Get them as dry as possible.I like to wrap it up in cheesecloth to squeeze it out.
- In a separate bowl, combine the squeezed zucchini with the coconut flour, eggs and black pepper. Do not add additional salt as there will be plenty of salt left from step 2.
- Melt a large spoonful of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Press ¼ cup of the zucchini mixture into the pan and flatten it until it forms a patty. I was able to cook 4 at a time in my cast iron skillet.
- Cook each side of the zucchini patties for 3-5 minutes or until they're golden brown. Repeat until the zucchini mixture is gone, adding more coconut oil as needed.
- Cool your zucchini fritters on a cooling rack to prevent them from getting soggy. Serve warm.