Making Gluten Free Zucchini Bread is one of the best ways to use the abundance of zucchini that summer brings. My easy recipe uses simple ingredients for a flavorful quick bread recipe even kids love.
If you have extra zucchini like most of us do during zucchini season, you’re probably looking for a great recipe to help you use it up. Over the years, I’ve come up with the best zucchini bread recipe that my entire family loves.
All you need are a handful of ingredients like fresh zucchini, your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour blend and some other basic pantry staples to make this moist, flavorful bread.
The recipe comes together quickly too, so you can serve the best GF Zucchini Bread to your family without a lot of time and effort. You’ll probably be surprised by how fast the loaf goes the first time you make it!
- By the Numbers: How to Make Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- Tips for Making the Best Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- Best Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Recipe
- More Delicious Gluten Free Baked Goods
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 cups of gluten free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of grated zucchini
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Box grater or food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer
- Loaf Pan
- Silicone spatula
- Cutting board
By the Numbers: How to Make Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
Follow these simple steps to learn how to make the best gluten free zucchini bread with simple ingredients.
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Prepare Pan.
This is a quick recipe to make, so the first thing you want to do is to pre-heat your oven to 350˚ F. Next, grease your loaf pan with coconut oil or the oil of your preference.
Step 2: Combine Wet Ingredients.
Add 3 eggs, ½ cup of melted butter and 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Use your electric hand mixer to blend them together.
Step 3: Beat in Sugars.
Next, add ½ cup of brown sugar and ½ cup of granulated white sugar to the bowl and beat until well combined.
Step 4: Add Dry Ingredients.
Next, beat in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of sea salt and 2 cups of gluten free all-purpose flour.
Step 5: Add Shredded Zucchini.
Finally, take 2 cups of shredded zucchini and pat it dry with paper towels to remove some of the excess moisture. Then gently fold it into the batter and mix until evenly combined.
Step 6: Pour Into Loaf Pan.
Once the zucchini is mixed into the batter, pour the mixture into your greased loaf pan. Use a rubber spatula to make sure you get all of the zucchini bread batter out of the bowl.
Step 7: Bake Zucchini Bread.
Place the filled loaf pan into your oven and bake for 45-55 minutes. How long it takes will vary based on the brand of gluten free flour blend you used and your elevation. You’ll know it’s done when it’s golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it into the center of your loaf.
Step 8: Allow Bread to Cool.
Once you remove the pan from the oven and the zucchini bread is done, let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a cutting board or wire cooling rack.
Step 9: Slice and Serve.
Once your loaf is mostly cool, you can slice and serve it. For best results, I like to let it cool almost to room temperature before slicing it so it stays nice and moist.
Tips for Making the Best Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
Answers to all of your questions about making the most delicious zucchini bread that’s gluten free, including tips and substitution ideas.
1. What brand of gluten free flour?
I used Namaste to make this loaf of zucchini bread. If you want to compare it with what you have, the ingredients in this allergen-friendly flour are: Sweet brown rice flour, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, sorghum flour and xanthan gum.
However most all-purpose gluten free flours, including Bob’s Red Mill, should work for this recipe as long as it has xanthan gum (if not, you’ll need to add about a teaspoon). Unlike with yeasted breads, quick breads are a lot easier to make and more forgiving with substitutions.
It has to be an all-purpose flour blend though… you can’t substitute almond flour or coconut flour in this recipe. The single ingredient flour I find to work best for substitutions in GF baking recipes is oat flour.
2. Can nuts or chocolate chips be added?
Yes, you can add up to one cup of your favorite nuts or chocolate chips to this recipe. Pecans, walnuts and almond slices all taste great and add a nice texture to the bread.
3. How to make vegan zucchini bread?
There are two swaps you’ll need to make to this recipe to make a loaf of vegan zucchini bread. First, swap a neutral tasting oil like MCT oil for the butter (olive oil isn’t very neutral, but will work in a pinch).
Second, you’ll need to make flax eggs to substitute for the whole eggs. You do that by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2 ½ tablespoons of water for each egg you need to replace.
4. How to store zucchini bread?
To keep it moist for as long as possible, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place in an airtight container. It will last on the counter for 3-4 days or in the fridge for about a week.
5. Can you freeze zucchini bread?
Yes, after it’s completely cooled to room temperature, wrap it tightly first in plastic wrap, then in foil. Once it’s well wrapped, place it inside a freezer safe plastic bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
Allow the zucchini bread to defrost overnight in the fridge or on the counter. It tastes great reheated with a pat of butter on top.
6. More gluten free zucchini recipes?
If you need more great recipes to use all of the zucchini your grew or bought, try one of these:
7. More gluten free bread recipes?
I love making gluten free breads! In addition to this easy gluten free zucchini bread recipe, some of my other favorites are:
8. Get more gluten-free baking tips?
Gluten free quick bread recipes are a great way to get started with GF baking if you’re new to it. I’ve been gluten free for over a decade now and I’ve learned so much!
To share in my knowledge and experience, be sure to sign up to receive my free 7 Secrets to Gluten Free Baking for more tips on getting started by adding your first name and email address to this form. The tips will come right to your email inbox.
Best Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Box grater or food processor
- Silicone spatula
- Cutting Board
- Pre-heat your oven to 350˚ F, grease your loaf pan with coconut oil and gather your ingredients.
- Add eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract to a large bowl then beat them together with an electric hand mixer.
- Next, beat in brown and white sugars until well combined.
- Add cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and gluten-free all-purpose flour and beat until well combined.
- Pat your shredded zucchini dry with paper towels to remove excess water, then gently fold it into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the bread pan for about 10 minutes then place the loaf on a cutting board or wire rack.
- Once it’s cool, you can slice and serve your zucchini bread. If you slice while it’s still too hot, it won’t stay as moist.