Mint chocolate chip is a favorite ice cream flavor in our family. Learn the best recipe for making this sweet treat. We even included a dairy free option!
Ever since I started making homemade ice cream (we use and love this ice cream maker), I just haven’t been able to eat ice cream from the store without noting how different they taste.
Homemade ice cream is simply amazing! Just a few simple ingredients, and you can make your own ice cream at home without any of the harmful chemicals in most store bought ice creams.
Prior to making our own mint chocolate chip ice cream, vanilla bean was our favorite. However, the girls had been begging me to make mint chocolate chip for a while since it’s their favorite flavor.
I have to tell you, homemade Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is so much better than store bought! And this ice cream scoops really easy too.
To make this ice cream dairy free, use one can of full fat coconut milk and an equivalent amount of almond milk in place of the whole milk and heavy cream.
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Whisk together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint essential oil in a large mixing bowl until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate the mixture for around 2 hours to ensure it's cold.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and allow it to churn for about 20 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate chips into the ice cream maker and allow it to churn for another 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe dish (I use these glass storage containers and freeze for at least one hour or longer before serving (unless you prefer a soft serve texture).