Jump to Directions
Are you looking for a fun and useful kids Christmas craft? These easy DIY Tic Tac Toe Game Bags have a reusable carry bag that doubles as the game board!
I’m always looking for new busy bag and travel game ideas to take with us on the go. The girls have a lot of fun playing tic tac toe on the kids menus when we go out to eat. So we decided to make our own reusable tic tac toe bags that we can take along with us on road trips and other outings.
Instead of the traditional X’s and O’s, we decided to use cute Christmas erasers that we got at the Dollar Tree for tic tac toes pieces. You can use anything you want, as long as it’s something your child will personally enjoy and won’t break easily.
These busy bags make a really great party favor too if you’ll be hosting kids or if you’re in charge of this year’s classroom Christmas craft. Simply follow this easy tutorial, and you can make your very own Reusable Tic Tac Toe Game with Carry Bag.
- Where to get themed erasers?
- Other tic tac toe bag themes
- Use your Cricut Maker
- Alternatives to jute bags
Craft Supplies and Tools
- 5″ x 7″ drawstring jute bags
- 10 small Christmas erasers per bag
- Puffy paint
- Cardboard pieces or paper towels
By the Numbers: How to Make Tic Tac Toe Bags
Follow these simple step by step instructions to learn how to make tic tac toe bags for Christmas, birthdays and other special occasions.
Step 1: Place Cardboard into Bags
Place one cardboard piece into each jute bag (to prevent the puffy paint from seeping through). If you get the packs of erasers from the dollar store, the backs usually work nicely.
Step 2: Paint Tic Tac Toe Board
Use your puffy paint to draw a tic-tac-toe game board on the outside of the bag and allow it to dry overnight.
Step 3: Place Erasers in Bag
Choose 10 erasers, like 5 Christmas trees and 5 gingerbread men, to place in the bag when the bag is dry and use as your tic-tac-toe pieces. Store the pieces in the bag and you have a game of tic tac toe ready to go at any time!
Tips for Making Tic Tac Toe Bags
Answers to all of your questions about making Tic Tac Toe Bags for Christmas, including tips and variations on the craft.
Where to get themed erasers?
You can get little erasers like the ones we used at most dollar stores, or you can buy them online as well. Or you could make your own pieces out of something you already have at home. For example, 5 stones and 5 shells or 2 different colors of LEGOs.
Other tic tac toe bag themes
Some other holidays you can make tic tac toe bags for include:
- Valentine’s Day. Make Valentine Tic Tac Toe Bags for your child’s classroom party. You can even use Hershey’s kisses with 2 different color wrappers for game pieces.
- Birthdays. Make tic tac toe busy bags that match the theme of your child’s birthday party.
- Weddings. Choose game pieces that match the color scheme or theme of your wedding to keep kids busy.
- Baby Showers. Use cute baby themed erasers as a fun baby shower favor for younger guests.
- Any Holiday. Whether it’s Thanksgiving, St. Patrick’s Day, New Year’s Eve or another special occasion, you can usually find themed erasers for each holiday season.
Use your Cricut Maker
Another option besides puffy paint is to make your tic tac toe board out of permanent vinyl you cut with your Cricut machine. If you have access to Design Space, you may be able to to find a tic tac toe SVG file there. If not, Creative Fabrica has lots of SVG files you can use.
Alternatives to jute bags
While we’ve always used jute bags to make our tic tac toe bags, you can use other types of drawstring bags as well. Cotton bags work nicely with puffy paint, and I’ve even seen people make them out of mini Santa gift bags!
DIY Tic Tac Toe Bag for Christmas
- 5" x 7" drawstring jute bags - 1 per tic tac toe game
- 10 small Christmas erasers - per bag
- Black puffy paint
- Cardboard pieces or paper towels
- Place one cardboard piece into each jute bag (to prevent the puffy paint from seeping through). Use paper towels if you don’t have cardboard. If you get the packs of erasers from the dollar store, the backs usually work nicely.
- Use your puffy paint to draw a tic-tac-toe board on the front of the bag and allow it to dry overnight.
- Choose 10 erasers, like 5 Christmas trees and 5 gingerbread men, to place in the bag when the bag is dry and use as your tic-tac-toe pieces. Store the pieces in the bag and you have a game of tic tac toe ready to go at any time!