Jump to Recipe
Learn how to make the best Jamaican Jerk Style Braised Buffalo Short Ribs recipe that will have your whole family begging for seconds.
There’s something so nourishing and wonderful about slow cooked meats on a cold winter day. Not only do the meats nourish our bodies, but the heat from the oven warms us. It’s a great combination.
While I love my slow cooker, I also love oven braised meats like these short ribs. They are always so tender and full of flavor. Low and slow – that’s the best way to braise meats, and it’s easier than you think.
I like to braise my short ribs over vegetables so you end up with a flavorful sauce to serve your short ribs with. They pair perfectly with garlic mashed potatoes and everything has the same flavor that way.
How to Make Braised Short Ribs
Learn how to make braised short ribs that the whole family will love in this easy dinner recipe.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Recipe Servings: 4
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound buffalo short ribs - about 4 ribs or more
- Sea salt - to taste
- Black pepper - to taste
- 8 rainbow carrots - chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 celery bunch - chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 onion - chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves - minced
- 3 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk spice mix
- ⅓ cup gluten free soy sauce
- ½ cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups beef broth - or your favorite bone broth
- Mixing bowl
- 7-quart cast iron dutch oven
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Jamaican Jerk spice, tamari, honey and ketchup. Set aside for the flavors to meld. It’s best if you can let it sit for at least an hour, but if you can’t it’ll still taste great.
- Preheat your oven to 300˚ F.
- Heat the coconut oil in a 7 quart cast iron dutch oven over medium heat.
- Pat the buffalo short ribs dry, cut them into sections, then season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown the short ribs on all sides. It usually takes about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the short ribs from the dutch oven and set aside. Add the carrot, celery and onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute more.
- Add the buffalo short ribs back to the pan, then pour the Jamaican Jerk sauce over the top of them.
- Add enough bone broth to cover about half of the short ribs. Don’t totally submerge them.
- Cover the opening of your dutch oven with a sheet of parchment before you set the lid in place. I like to do this because it tightens the seal.
- Put the pot in your oven and cook for about 3 hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve the short ribs with mashed potatoes or rice and the veggies from the bottom of the pot. They’ll have great flavor from all of those yummy spices.
Nutrition information includes the buffalo short ribs and veggies. Additional side of mashed potatoes or rice not included in the calculations.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Calories: 513kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 1438mg | Potassium: 701mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 20653IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 325mg | Iron: 7mg