Learn how to make homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch. While it’s already quick, you can make this easy homemade chicken noodle soup with rotisserie chicken for an even faster meal.
I have fond memories of sipping on chicken noodle soup as a child. When I went gluten free, I thought I’d have to give up my beloved chicken soup.
Then I decided to learn how to make chicken noodle soup myself. It’s actually one of the easiest soups to make, especially if you always have homemade chicken stock on hand. And, if you’re really in a rush, this is the best chicken noodle soup recipe to make with store bought rotisserie chicken if you don’t have time to roast your own.
If you’re new to gluten free foods, you should know that gluten free noodles don’t cook quite the same way as wheat-based noodles, so I prefer to cook them separately and only add them to the soup when serving. You don’t have to use gluten free noodles – egg noodles are another popular choice.
If any of your kids are picky eaters, this easy chicken noodle soup recipe has some of most kids’ favorite foods in it – noodles, chicken and carrots! My girls slurp down this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe and always ask for seconds.
This gluten free chicken noodle soup recipe usually makes enough for us to have for dinner for two nights. If you have a smaller family, you may be wondering if you can freeze this chicken noodle soup and the answer is yes. Just make sure you’re using a freezer safe container and never freeze with the noodles added. You’ll want to add those in later when you heat the soup.
Easy Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup
- 6 quarts homemade chicken stock
- ½ chicken baked and chopped (or about 4 cups cooked chicken breasts)
- 8-12 carrots sliced
- 6 ribs celery sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 box gluten free noodles prepared per box instructions
- Sauté carrots in olive oil until they start to change color and soften.
- Add celery and onions, and continue to sauté until the onion starts to look translucent.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for about a minute.
- Add chicken, chicken stock and spices and bring to a boil; simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While your soup is simmering, cook the noodles per package directions, strain and set aside.
- Sample your soup and adjust spices to your tastes.
- Add desired amount of noodles to your soup bowl and then ladle soup over the noodles. This will prevent the noodles from becoming soggy.