Jump to Directions
Do you have basic sewing skills? Learn how to make easy reusable lunch bags with velcro closures for a more eco-friendly lunch.
Many people are already using reusable, eco-friendly lunch bags, but are looking for more ways to live greener. Reusable lunch containers like reusable sandwich bags are a great next step for a more eco friendly lunch box.
They can be rather expensive to purchase initially, so many people stick with cheaper plastic bags. If you’re like most people, you want to make more sustainable choices, but your budget doesn’t always agree.
If you find yourself in that situation, there are beginner sewing projects to help you green your lunch box more affordably. In this easy sewing tutorial, you’ll learn how to make a reusable sandwich wrap.
If you’re worried about your sewing skills, this reusable sandwich wrap tutorial is even easy enough for sewing beginners. You can do it!
One of the reasons I like to use DIY reusable sandwich wraps rather than baggies is that they’re easy to clean. You don’t have to try getting all the crumbs out of the corners of a bag. I find them a lot simpler and more hassle free.
How to Make Reusable Sandwich Wraps with Velcro Closures
- 14" x 14” piece cotton fabric
- 12" x 12" piece food safe waterproof fabric
- All-purpose thread - in a coordinating color of your cotton fabric.
- Wonder sewing clips
- 1 package sew-on hook and loop Velcro strips
- Sewing machine
- Place the right side of your fabric on the shiny side of your waterproof fabric. You should have a border of the cotton fabric on all four sides of the waterproof fabric.
- Fold the cotton fabric until it touches the edge of the cotton fabric, or 1”, leaving the corner unfolded. Fold it again until it overlaps the waterproof fabric. Pin in place.
- Take the corner of the cotton fabric and fold down at the diagonal.
- Fold over sides of the fabric at the corner just like you did in step 2.
- When the corners meet, it should look like this image.
- Sew a 1/2" seam allowance around all four sides.
- Measure and cut four 2” pieces of the hook (2 pieces) and loop (2 pieces) Velcro.
- Fold your sandwich wrap, waterproof side up, into a diamond shape as shown, so you have a corner at North, South East and West, OR top, right, bottom and left.
- Pin one piece of the loop (fuzzy) velcro at the north/top corner and sew in place.
- Do the same with the loop (fuzzy) side of the velcro at the east /right and sew in place.
- Do the same with the hook (prickly) side of the velcro at the south/bottom and sew in place.
- Do the same with the hook (prickly) side of the velcro at the west /left and sew in place.
- Flip your sandwich wrap on the diagonal again, waterproof side up. Place your sandwich in the middle of the sandwich wrap. Fold like an envelope and secure closed with the velcro.
If you’re looking for more easy sewing projects for beginners, I have more in the works for you right now! So make sure you’re subscribed to our newsletter so you can be notified when more simple sewing projects are published.