Are you looking for eco-friendly options for your Keurig coffee maker? We spent a lot of time putting together the ultimate list of compostable coffee pods and recyclable K-Cups for you! (Updated on 4/19/2020)
I only drink one cup of coffee per day (occasionally 2 cups) and my husband doesn’t drink coffee every day. So, several years ago I decided a Keurig coffee maker made the most sense for our home. However, I did not want the environmental guilt of tossing disposable K-Cups in the garbage every day.
I picked up a reusable K-Cup, but couldn’t shake the fact that it was made of plastic even though it was reusable. So, several years ago, I did a ton of research on compostable coffee pods and recyclable K-Cups.
Low and behold, I only found one compostable K-Cup brand on the market and a handful of recyclable brands. I’d been drinking San Francisco Bay OneCup, Organic Rainforest Blend compostable coffee pods ever since then because it was the best option I could find at the time. The company is also committed to helping the communities where its farms are from South America to Africa. Not to mention, it’s great coffee and it tastes good.
I decided to do a little more research a few years later and was thrilled to find that the market has completely changed – for the better. I was astounded to find a large number of brands offering compostable coffee pods – many of them filled with organic coffee grounds.
During that research, I decided to put together a list of compostable coffee pods and recyclable K-Cups so you can find the right one for you. I even found that brands are making tea-bag style pour over coffee bags you can use without a Keurig.
If you want to stick with the single cup coffee brewer and want the choices that are best for the environment and your body, choose an option from the Compostable Coffee Pods with Organic Coffee Grounds list.
I broke the list down into 4 areas:
- Compostable coffee pods with organic coffee grounds
- Compostable coffee pods with non-organic coffee grounds
- Recyclable K-Cups with organic coffee grounds
- Recyclable K-Cups with non-organic coffee grounds
- Bonus: Reusable and disposable K-Cup options for ground coffee
Check out the list and let me know in the comments below if there’s a brand you love that I missed!
Compostable Coffee Pods with Organic Coffee Grounds
- San Francisco Bay OneCup, Organic Rainforest Blend (this is the coffee I drink – the price is good and you can buy in bulk)
- Boyd’s Organic Red Wagon Coffee
- Cameron’s Organic Breakfast Blend
- White Coffee Organic Single Serve Coffee
- OneCoffee Organic Breakfast Blend Single Serve Coffee
- Wolfgang Puck Coffee, Fair Trade Colombian Organic
- The Organic Coffee Company
- Oakland Coffee Works
Compostable Coffee Pods with NON-Organic Coffee Grounds
- San Francisco Bay OneCup, Other Varieties
- Tayst Medium Roast Coffee Pods
- Glory Brew Coffee
- Kauai Coffee Garden Isle
- Joe Knows Coffee
- Faro Roasting House
Recyclable K-Cups with Organic Coffee Grounds
- AmazonFresh Organic Fair Trade K-Cups
- EKOCUPS Organic
- Super Organics Coffee with Superfoods & Probiotics
- Valhalla Java Single Serve
- Peak Performance High Altitude Organic Coffee Pods
- Organic Black Knight Coffee Pods
Recyclable K-Cups with NON-Organic Coffee Grounds
Reusable K-Cups: Use Your Own Ground Coffee
Disposable K-Cups: Use Your Coffee Grounds
You can use a single cup coffee brewer like a Keurig and still make more eco-friendly choices. I hope you discovered a new coffee brand to try on this list. And if you’re up for an adventure, you can venture over to learn how to make French Press Coffee.