Learn how to make a homemade Mason Jar Ring Map Ornament as a gift for travel lovers. This unique Christmas ornament is even easy enough for kids to make!
I love homemade Christmas ornaments. So much love goes into making them, that I prefer them over store bought ornaments any day.
Every year when I hang ornaments on our Christmas tree, I get to experience all the memories of where they came from. It’s one of my favorite things about Christmas time.
Our family loves to travel all over the place. For the most part, we go on road trips rather than flying since our kids are younger, and it works really well for us. However, they’ve both been on airplanes and want to travel more as they get older too.
We have come to love lots of different areas, and I know we will continue to discover many more in our travels the years to come. I thought it would be fun to make some mason jar ring map ornaments to highlight some of our favorite cities around the world.
While we were making our Mason Jar Ring Map ornaments, I got to thinking they would make a great gift for lots of different people:
- Friends or family who love to travel
- Friends or family who have moved from another city, state or country
- Friends or family who dream of visiting a particular city, state or country
- To bundle with a trip you’re gifting to a loved one
- And of course yourself!
You can use vintage maps you find in storage or at a thrift store. If you can’t find the perfect one, you can always Google state or country maps to print out the one that will be perfect for your recipient. Or you can buy an Atlas and you’ll have lots of options.
Besides the map, all you need are a few simple supplies. Most of us crafty people always have things like mason jar rings and hot glue guns on hand. The only thing I didn’t have on hand was pink puffy paint (talk about a flashback to the 80s!).
I love crafts that I don’t have to spend a lot of money on, but look like they’re expensive. This high quality DIY Christmas ornament will delight any gift recipient this winter.
If you make a Mason Jar Ring Map Ornament commemorating your favorite place, I’d love to hear how it turned out! Share it on social media and tag me and be sure to leave a rating too!
Mason Jar Ring Map Ornament Tutorial
- Trace the outside of your lid onto your map around your city of choice.
- Cut the circle out carefully with scissors.
- Loop a piece of twine through the lid ring and tie the ends into a knot.
- Glue the map circle carefully into the back of your lid ring (you might need to trim a little extra off around the edge of the circle).
- Turn your ornament over to the front and use your puffy paint to draw a small heart over the dot of your favorite city.
- Allow your mason jar ring map ornament to dry overnight.