Now that Fall has arrived and is in full swing, I’m all about Fall comfort foods – and white chicken chili is one of the best Fall comfort foods around.
My older daughter Zoë doesn’t tolerate tomatoes well, so I’ve been looking at alternatives to traditional chili. I always love the white and green chilis we sample at the local Chili Cook-off each summer.
When I have more time, I like to used dried beans. However, we’ve been pretty busy, so I’ve been relying more on canned beans lately. Feel free to swap the canned beans for dried beans if you have more time. It’s all about balance 🙂 Even using canned beans, this recipe turned out amazing.
I used the boneless skinless chicken thighs that came in my last Butcher Box. And I typically have the rest of the ingredients on hand, so this Three Bean White Chicken Chili makes a great last minute dinner idea!
Ready to enjoy the nourishment that this chili offers to your family? Give this recipe a try and let us know how your family liked it!
Three Bean White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups of cubed boneless chicken (I prefer thighs that I get from Butcher Box)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Real salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 4-ounce cans of green chilis
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon of Real salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 15-ounce can of Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can of Navy Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can of cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons masa
- Monterey Jack Cheese and/or Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Sour cream
- Green hot sauce
- In a bowl, season chicken with garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- In a 6-quart dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat, add in chicken, brown slightly, lower heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken has cooked. If desired, add in a tablespoon of water. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium high and saute onions for 2 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chopped chilis, chicken, chicken broth and remaining spices. Mix well and cook for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and masa. After the 30 minutes, lower the heat to medium low and pour the milk and masa mixture into the pan, and stir until well combined.
- Cook for an additional five minutes then add in the beans. Continue cooking for five minutes to heat the beans through (you can leave it in longer, but the beans will begin to break down).
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, cheese, sour cream and hot sauce, if desired.