Learn how to make our easy Chai Latte recipe with simple ingredients. Our DIY spice mix will have you drinking a hot and creamy Chai Latte in no time.
There is something so amazing about the spicy flavor of a good chai latte on a cold day. Or any day, really.
I wanted to start making my own chai lattes at home as a special treat for myself. Since we have one of the biggest spice collections you’ve probably seen, it was pretty easy to put together a delicious recipe.
The only other things you need (besides the spices) to make a chai latte are water, a sweetener (I like honey), tea bags (or loose leaf tea) and a quality milk. I prefer whole milk because it’s creamier, but you can use whatever milk you prefer, including coconut or almond milk.
Chai lattes are traditionally made with black tea. However, I prefer to use green tea, but you can use either.
Homemade Green Tea Chai Tea Latte
- 2 cups filtered water
- 5-6 green cardamom pods
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-3 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorns - roughly crushed or whole
- 3 green tea bags - or the equivalent in loose leaf tea
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons raw honey - or more, to taste
- Add the filtered water and all of the spices to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer the spices for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, then add the green tea bags to the water and cover the pot. Allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes.
- While the tea is steeping, add the milk to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, then turn off heat. If you want a frothy green tea chai latte, use an immersion blender in the milk to make it frothy. It works great and I've found that it's the easiest way to make frothy lattes at home.
- Next, stir the honey into the tea, then add the frothy milk. Taste, and add more honey, if desired. Pour into your favorite tea mug, sprinkle with ground cinnamon for garnish and enjoy your homemade green tea chai latte!