When I was a kid, our cabinet was filled with all sorts of spice and seasoning packets. It was the age of convenience foods. Convenience was more important that ingredients, and I’m sure I ate my fair share of chemical concoctions along the way.
Fortunately, many people are realizing that health really comes from the foods we eat. There is a revival of cooking from scratch using real food ingredients.
So many recipes still call for convenience foods like seasoning packets. Over the years, I have come up with homemade versions so that I can still enjoy recipes I grew up on.
One of my weaknesses was always chips or veggies with onion dip. You just grab those little onion soup packets from the grocery store, mix it up with sour cream and you have a yummy treat. Unfortunately those onion soup packets have things like GMO corn and soy, MSG, partially hydrogenated oils and more in them.
One popular brand, Lipton Onion Soup Mix, contains the following ingredients: Onions (deyhydrated), salt, cornstarch, onion powder, sugar, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy protein, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, yeast extract, natural flavors, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.
I can hardly believe that mix is considered edible with those ingredients. So that my family can enjoy recipes that call for onion soup mix, I decided to make our own homemade version. It’s very easy to make and tastes great on pot roast!
Homemade Onion Soup Mix
- 1 1/2 cups minced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Real Salt
- 2 teaspoons organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar (I like to use a quart jar so there is plenty of room for shaking), close the jar and shake until the ingredients are mixed
- You’ll need to shake the jar before each use as ingredients will settle.
- 2-3 tablespoons of this equals a single packet of store bought onion soup mix.