Jump to Recipe
My homemade dry Onion Soup Mix recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients. It tastes great in many types of meals and makes a tasty homemade french onion dip mix too!
This special blend of seasonings can be used in place of the onion soup packets you buy at grocery stores in most of your favorite recipes.
If you have a busy night where you’re short on time, it’s super convenient to have a pint of your own onion soup mix on hand. The best part is how much money you save making your own spice blends!
- By the Numbers: How to Make Onion Soup Mix
- Tips for the Best Onion Soup Mix
- 1. Important tip: Shake it up.
- 2. Can I make a smaller serving to make sure I like it?
- 3. What are some ways to use onion soup mix?
- 4. How does this mix compare to Lipton?
- 5. How much is in those Lipton spice packets?
- 6. Can I reduce the sodium content?
- 7. Is this onion soup mix low carb?
- 8. Best place to buy bulk spices?
- Homemade Onion Soup Mix Recipe
- Homemade Spice Blend & Condiment Recipes
- 1 ½ cups of dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of celery salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- 16 ounce glass jar
By the Numbers: How to Make Onion Soup Mix
Follow these steps to make the best Lipton onion soup mix alternative at home.
Step 1: Measure out your spices and seasonings.
The first step is to measure out your onion flakes, parsley, onion powder, turmeric, garlic powder, sea salt, sugar, celery salt and black pepper. I like to do this first to make sure I have enough of all of my ingredients.
Step 2: Combine all ingredients.
Next, transfer all of your onion soup mix ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Don’t be tempted to just add the ingredients to the jar and shake – you want to make sure to get it mixed up really well.
Step 3: Transfer to Storage Jar.
The final step is to transfer your homemade onion soup mix to a mason jar for storage. It’s immediately ready for use.
Tips for the Best Onion Soup Mix
1. Important tip: Shake it up.
Even though you mixed up the ingredients really well in step 2, it’s important to shake the glass jar of onion soup mix before each use as the ingredients will settle.
2. Can I make a smaller serving to make sure I like it?
While my seasoning blend recipes are well tested and used every day in my home, everyone’s taste buds are different.
If you’d like to make a smaller serving of this onion soup mix to make sure you like it before you make an entire pint, use these ingredients:
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoons celery salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
This simple recipe should make enough dry onion soup mix for 1-2 uses. Then if your family enjoys it, come back to this recipe and make a whole pint next time.
3. What are some ways to use onion soup mix?
This is a super versatile seasoning blend that has many uses:
- Use it in your favorite pot roast recipes, especially in the slow cooker and Instant Pot.
- Stir a few tablespoons into your favorite beef stew recipes.
- Stir a couple tablespoons into sour cream for a flavorful French onion chip dip.
- Mix it into ground beef for homemade meatloaf or hamburgers.
4. How does this mix compare to Lipton?
Lipton Onion Soup Mix contains the following ingredients: Onions (dehydrated and made in a facility that processes milk, egg, soy, wheat and anchovies), salt, corn starch, onion powder, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract (barley), caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, corn syrup, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sulfur dioxide (used to protect quality).
Lipton onion soup mix is not gluten free. My recipe is gluten free and makes a great Lipton substitute.
5. How much is in those Lipton spice packets?
Use 2-3 tablespoons of your own homemade onion soup mix to equal a single packet of store-bought mix.
6. Can I reduce the sodium content?
Omit the sea salt and replace the celery salt with ¾ teaspoon celery seed.
7. Is this onion soup mix low carb?
No, not as is. Simply omit the sugar and you’ll have a low carb seasoning blend.
8. Best place to buy bulk spices?
I buy all of my spices in bulk because I make all of our seasoning blends from scratch. Starwest Botanicals has great prices on bulk spices, so that’s who I source most of my spices and seasonings from to make my own mixes.
If you want to make some of my other homemade spice blends, these are popular choices:
Homemade Onion Soup Mix Recipe
- 1 ½ cups dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or fork
- 16 ounce glass jar
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a pint-sized mason jar or other airtight container and store in your spice cabinet.
12 thoughts on “Homemade Onion Soup Mix”
Thanks for a great recipe for the onion soup mix. I like that it has no MSG, and I can omit the salt and sugar to make it suitable for our family.
You’re welcome Helene. I’m glad you like the onion soup mix!
This soup mix looks good. I’m always looking for spice mix recipes where I can control the salt.
How much of the mix equals a packet of grocery store soup mix?
Hi Amanda, if you reference tip #5 in the recipe above, you’ll see that a you’ll need to use 2-3 tablespoons of homemade onion soup mix to equal a store bought packet.
Can I add beef bouillon to it to make a version of beefy onion soup mix? Or dried mushrooms and bouillon?
I’ve never tried it myself, but I don’t see why not. I’d probably add some to a small batch first to make sure you like the flavor balance. 🙂
Hi I was wondering how long this will keep in my cupboard? It sounds great!
Take a look at the expiration date on the bulk spices you use. Whatever the soonest expiration date is on one of your ingredients, that’s how long it should last. Since it’s a dry mix, it has a good shelf life.
Hi I’m making your onion soup mix and I can’t find any cooking instructions for the soup option? Where can I find them? Is there a link?
Hi Jim, I don’t usually make soup with this recipe. I use it more for things like stew and pot roasts in the slow cooker. However, you can make soup by bringing 5 tablespoons of onion soup mix to a boil in 4 cups of stock or water. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer until the ingredients in the seasoning blend have rehydrated and softened, usually about 15 minutes. I hope that helps!
Very good! I was looking for a more healthy option rather than buying store bought. This tasted fantastic! I omitted the sugar. 🙂
I’m glad you liked it Amy!