Our homemade dry Onion Soup Mix recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients. It tastes great in many types of meals and makes a tasty homemade french onion dip mix too!
Our special blend of seasonings can be used in place of the onion soup packets you buy at grocery stores in most of your favorite recipes.
If you have a busy night where you’re short on time, it’s super convenient to have a pint of your own onion soup mix on hand. The best part is how much money you save making your own spice blends!
Homemade Onion Soup Mix Recipe
- 1 ½ cups dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- 16 ounce glass jar
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a pint-sized mason jar or other airtight container and store in your spice cabinet.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Tips for the Best Onion Soup Mix
1. Important tip: Shake it up.
It’s important to shake the glass jar of onion soup mix before each use as the ingredients will settle.
2. Can I make a smaller serving to make sure I like it?
While my seasoning blend recipes are well tested and used every day in my home, everyone’s taste buds are different.
If you’d like to make a smaller serving of this onion soup mix to make sure you like it before you make an entire pint, use these ingredients:
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoons celery salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
This simple recipe should make enough dry onion soup mix for 1-2 uses. Then if your family enjoys it, come back to this recipe and make a whole pint next time.
3. What are some ways to use onion soup mix?
This is a super versatile seasoning blend that has many uses:
- Use it in your favorite pot roast recipes, especially in the slow cooker and Instant Pot.
- Stir a few tablespoons into your favorite beef stew recipes.
- Stir a couple tablespoons into sour cream for a flavorful French onion chip dip.
- Mix it into ground beef for homemade meatloaf or hamburgers.
4. How does this mix compare to Lipton?
Lipton Onion Soup Mix contains the following ingredients: Onions (dehydrated and made in a facility that processes milk, egg, soy, wheat and anchovies), salt, corn starch, onion powder, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract (barley), caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, corn syrup, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sulfur dioxide (used to protect quality).
Lipton onion soup mix is not gluten free. My recipe is gluten free and makes a great Lipton substitute.
5. How much is in those Lipton spice packets?
Use 2-3 tablespoons of your own homemade onion soup mix to equal a single packet of store-bought mix.
6. Can I reduce the sodium content?
Omit the sea salt and replace the celery salt with ¾ teaspoon celery seed.
7. Is this onion soup mix low carb?
No, not as is. Simply omit the sugar and you’ll have a low carb seasoning blend.
8. Best place to buy bulk spices?
I buy all of my spices in bulk because I make all of our seasoning blends from scratch. Starwest Botanicals has great prices on bulk spices, so that’s who I source most of my spices and seasonings from to make my own mixes.
If you want to make some of my other homemade spice blends, these are popular choices: