When I first went gluten free, the thing that I missed the most was bread. Not because I have ever been a huge bread person, but because most gluten free bread tastes nothing like its gluten filled counterpart.
I had just gotten baking bread from scratch down, and then I had to try and learn all over. After many, many failed attempts, I finally found one recipe in this cookbook I liked: Gluten Free Herbed Sourdough Focaccia.
I couldn’t believe how much it tasted like “real” bread. I literally almost ate an entire pan in my first sitting because it had been nearly a year since I’d had good bread and it just tasted so amazing!
Unfortunately I let my gluten free sourdough starter die. They are a lot more temperamental than wheat-based sourdough starters. As soon as I can get one going again, I’ll definitely be making this gluten free focaccia again!
Gluten Free Herbed Sourdough Focaccia
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice starter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons quinoa flour
- 1-2 tablespoons filtered water
- 3/4 teaspoon Real Salt
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh ground flax seed
- Pour your starter into a mixing bowl.
- Add quinoa flour and water, then whisk until smooth.
- Allow the batter to rise for 2-4 hours, then stir down.
- Gently mix the salt and olive oil into the batter with a wooden spoon.
- Grind flax, rosemary, thyme and oregano (I use a coffee grinder), then stir into batter.
- Pour the batter into 2 Good Cook 9-inch round cake pans.
- Allow the batter to rise for another 2-4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Bake the bread for around 15 minutes, or until the focaccia springs back when pressed gently.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then place on a cooling rack.
- If you can resist eating the entire focaccia in one sitting, you’ll want to store it in the fridge wrapped in cloth, then placed in a plastic container.
- It will only keep for a few days, so don’t feel guilty indulging! I love to dip it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Pre-order Make Ahead Bread & Get a Free Loaf Pan!
If you order your copy of Donna’s new book on Amazon by February 28, 2014 and fill out this form, you will receive a free loaf pan from Good Cook to help you get your baking done!
Get a Discount at GoodCook.com
Good Cook is also offering my readers 25% off any goodcook.com purchase with promo code BakeBread!