Last Updated on
Do you love beautiful handmade jewelry ideas with a simple design? Learn how to make this customizable DIY Bohemian Dreamcatcher Necklace.
I’ve always felt drawn to dream catchers. Perhaps it’s because of the Native American blood that runs through my veins. Perhaps it’s because they’re simply beautiful to look at.
Either way, I adore dream catchers. My daughter seems to share that love because she starting making dream catchers unprompted. I received the beautiful one in this picture for my 40th birthday from her. She made it from a stick in our yard.
I love how creative she is, and I love encouraging her to explore that part of herself. So, we’ve been making more jewelry together and it’s such a great bonding activity. She is getting so good she’s thinking about opening an Etsy shop!
That’s why today I want to share this tutorial for making a simple Bohemian dreamcatcher necklace.
I included detailed step by step instructions, so you can follow along, even if you’re new to jewelry making. It’s a fun and simple tutorial with a beautiful result.
Bohemian Dreamcatcher Necklace Tutorial
- Start by making the tassels you'll need. Take a piece of cardboard according to the size you want your tassel to be. Or you can just use your fingers instead. Wrap the thread around the cardboard in taut loops until you get the thickness you want. Then pull it out of the cardboard.
- Take another piece of yarn or thread and tie any ends of the loops together. Wrap and tie a knot to secure it.
- Snip the ends of the loops on the other end to create the tassel. Repeat this proccess to make 3 tassels.
- Now, take a piece of wire that measures the size you'd like your dreamcatcher pendant to be. Wrap it around something round like a glass or jar to give the wire a round shape. Take the yarn and tie a knot onto the round wire, leaving a 1/2" to 3/4" gap from the end of the wire. Now start wrapping the yarn around the wire.
- When you’re finished wrapping, be sure to leave 1/2" to 3/4" space on the other end as well.
- Wrap both ends together using tape, making sure that it is tight and secure.
- Next, wrap the rest of the wire with the yarn and tie a knot when you’re done to secure it.
- Now wrap the yarn across the round wire to make your desired design. I’ve made a simple star shape on this dreamcatcher necklace.
- Take the tassel, the round piece, beads, thread and needle.
- Sew the thread through the tassel, pull the needle out of the top of the tassel. Then insert some beads through the needle.
- Sew the tassel with the round piece.
- Sew rest of the tassels as well.
- Now take a strand of yarn and tie it to the pendant to finish the dreamcatcher necklace. You could also use a jump ring with a faux leather necklace or chain.