Learn how to make easy DIY Reed Diffusers with essential oils in this easy home decor craft.
Reed diffusers are a nice, natural way to scent the air in your home and they look very pretty and inviting. The great thing is that you can make your own DIY reed diffuser using a fun glass bottle and few simple supplies.
I have found this to be a very easy craft that you can feel really good about. Plus, you can customize the scent with your favorite essential oils.
For a winter blend, I use Eucalyptus and Wintergreen. They bring a light, sweet and fresh aroma to the room and have wonderful properties for diffusing during the winter months. Less than five minutes after I made mine, I could already smell it really well
You can use any of your favorite essential oils and your favorite carrier oil for this project as well. Lemon, lavender and peppermint is a great combo for spring or summer.
Get creative and maybe even make a few DIY Reed Diffusers for friends and family for gifts. They are perfect for a guest room or bath!
DIY Reed Diffuser Tutorial
- Decorative glass bottle - preferably with a skinnier neck to help hold the reeds together
- Wooden decorative twigs - or diffuser reeds. Choose ones that have a slicker finish like bamboo, not fragile ones that will easily peel or chip off. The number you'll need will depend on the bottle size you choose.
- ¼ – ½ cup carrier oil - such as fractionated coconut oil or sweet almond oil
- 20-30 drops essential oils - I used 12 wintergreen essential oil and 13 eucalyptus essential oil drops in my fairly large bottle
- Measuring cups
- For the carrier oil, you want it to be along about the bottom 1” of the bottle, so how much you use will depend on the width of the bottle you have. I used ¼ cup and it was fine for mine and my bottle is of a good size. Place the carrier oil in the mixing bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Add your essential oil and whisk together well. Give it a test sniff – if you feel it’s not strong enough, add a few more drops and mix again.
- Then, using your funnel, pour the oil into the bottle until it is all transferred.
- Then add your reeds and make sure to push all of them down all the way to the bottom of the bottle so they're in the oil. If they are too high, they won’t draw up the oils, so just double check to make sure none are displaced. Now, you get to watch as the reeds drink up the natural oils.
- Place your reed diffuser in your favorite space and enjoy!