Last Updated on
I have been re-working a lot of my recipes over the last year to remove gluten, dairy and eggs from them. I had an awesome piecrust recipe that worked well with any pie, so I was nervous about re-working that one.
What I ended up with tastes amazing. It’s flaky and flavorful and goes well with every pie I’ve tried it with so far. I was also nervous about my crumb topping, but again, it came out superb!
This is a recipe for my Strawberry Apple Pie. Strawberries are starting to show up on store shelves again, and pretty soon apples will start disappearing from the shelves, so now is the perfect time to give this recipe a try!
Strawberry Apple Crumb Pie Recipe
Gluten Free Crust Ingredients
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Real Salt
- 2 tablespoons organic granulated sugar
- ½ cup organic palm shortening
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups organic strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups organic applies, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 2/3 cup pure granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed organic lemon juice
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup organic palm shortening (I like Tropical Traditions)
Gluten Free Crust Directions
- Preheat your oven to 325° F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add the palm shortening and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. If it’s too dry to stick together, you can add 1 tablespoon of filtered water and mix in.
- Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish, and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, arrowroot powder and cinnamon, and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and water and mix well.
- Lay the apples out in the pan and then top with the strawberries.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the apples and strawberries.
Crumb Topping Directions
- Mix the sugar, palm shortening and flours in a bowl. It should look clumpy.
- Sprinkle the mixture over your fruit.
- Place your pie in the oven and bake for about one hour.
- The pie should be bubbling and golden brown; if not cook for 5-10 more minutes and check again.
- Serve warm or cold – it’s delicious either way!