Last Updated on
If you struggle to wake up with a smile on your face in the morning, make these DIY shower steamers with citrus essential oils. They’ll make you feel happy!
I am not a morning person. I don’t think there’s a single person in this world who knows me who would argue with that statement!
For whatever reason, I’ve always preferred to stay up late into the quiet night and sleep late. However, life doesn’t always allow you to keep the sleep schedule that you naturally tend to fall into.
So over the years, I’ve done my best to come up with ways to make getting up early a little less painful for my soul. Coffee is a must, no doubt about that. And then a refreshing shower.
What really does the trick with the shower is citrus shower steamers. The uplifting aroma helps me perk up a little more quickly and makes me feel happy. I’m not saying I don’t still need the coffee (I do), but it helps.
If you also struggle to wake up happy, or know someone who does, make a batch of these Citrus Shower Steamers and give them a try! You should get 24 from the batch – more than enough to share with a friend.
Citrus Shower Steamers Recipe
Ingredients and Supplies
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons) distilled water
- Yellow soap colorant
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10 drops orange essential oil
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- Silicone treat mold
- Add the baking soda, citric acid and cornstarch to a glass or metal mixing bowl. Whisk until all of the powders are well combined.
- Next, add the essential oils and stir well to incorporate, making sure to break up any small clumps.
- Add the water and yellow soap colorant to a small mixing bowl, then stir to evenly distribute the color.
- Sprinkle the water, 1 teaspoon at a time, over the mixture to slightly dampen it. Stir well to distribute the yellow color.
- Transfer to the flower treat mold, pressing down firmly. I like to have a baking sheet or cutting board until silicone molds to make them easier to move around.
- After all of the cavities are full, place the silicone mold in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Gently pop each citrus shower steamer out of its mold and store in an airtight container.
- Place 1-2 citrus shower steamers into the corner of your shower, away from the stream of water. The steam will activate the invigorating citrus vapors.