When I spent a summer traveling around Asia through college, I fell in love with Japanese culture. One thing I always loved while we were in Japan was green tea ice cream, but it’s not always easy to find in stores here.
Lately, I have been trying to eat less sugar and go back on a dairy free diet, so I decided I’d try to make my own dairy free green tea ice cream since I have a stockpile of matcha green tea.
I used a stevia blend to sweeten the ice cream. A little bit goes a really long way. This recipes uses 1 tablespoon of a stevia blend, which is equivalent to 1/2 cup of sugar. It does have a slight aftertaste to it, but not too bad.
Dairy & Sugar Free Green Tea Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, pre-refrigerated
- 1 can’s worth of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons quality matcha green tea powder
- 1 tablespoon stevia blend
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Place in refrigerator until mixture is cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker (I use this ice cream maker) and allow to churn for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soft ice cream to a glass container and place in the freezer for about 2 hours for it to finish hardening.
- Be careful eating this ice cream too late at night as it does have caffeine in it. You can also use it to blend up matcha green tea lattes in the mornings that are sugar-free!