I have been working towards making more of our personal care products as we run out of our favorite natural brands. My favorite hand soaps was the 100% Pure Hydrating Wash when we were buying hand soap.
I love the convenience of buying hand soap, but it’s not that cost-effective to purchase it (especially at the rate my girls go through it). So, it has been on my list to make my own.
I had a stockpile of hand soap that I had purchased, which we finally ran out of a couple weeks ago. Instead of buying more, I decided to try making my own to save money since I knew I had the ingredients on hand.
I reused a foaming hand soap bottle that I’d previously purchased, so it didn’t cost me anything to make this hand soap since I already had everything I needed!
DIY Foaming Hand Soap Recipe
- Fill the bottle ¾ full with filtered water.
- Fill the remaining ¼ with castile soap
- Add 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oils. During the winter season, I like to use a Protective Blend of essential oils since it’s awesome at protecting your body from threats, but you can use oils of your preference. Tea Tree Oil and Lemon Oil also have great antibacterial properties, so would make good choices as well. Keep in mind that if you use citrus oils, you should use glass bottles as they can cause plastic to leach.
- Shake the bottle well and re-cap.
- It should come out of the pump just like the commercial brands you’re used to!
Have you ever made your own hand soap? What are your favorite essential oils to use?
Update: This post previously had a link to the brand of essential oils I use, but I can no longer mention that brand on my blog due to FDA regulations. If you’d like to learn more about the only brand of essential oils I recommend, please fill out the form on this page and I’ll get back with you.
This post contains affiliate links.