Learn how to make the best DIY essential oil bug spray in our easy recipe. If you don’t want to DIY, you can buy a natural bug spray instead.
Since we started our natural living journey, we stopped using conventional bug sprays. We’ve tried some natural bug sprays as well, but it’s so easy to make your own there’s no reason to buy it.
I use three essential oils in my essential oil bug spray – eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil and lemon oil. Each of them have wonderful properties for keeping the bugs at bay.
Eucalyptus essential oil is great for repelling mosquitoes and other biting insects. Plus is smells really refreshing.
Rosemary essential oil acts as a repellent scent for most insects. This wonderful oil helps to keep the bugs away from your family when you use it in this essential oil bug spray.
Bonus tip: rosemary plants themselves can be useful for keeping pesky bugs away from the crops growing in your vegetable garden. Read more tips on using essential oils in your garden.
Lemon essential oil is another natural pest deterrent. It can even help keep spiders away, which makes it great on a camping trip.
Just beware that citrus oils cause photosensitivity, so you don’t want to use lemon oil on skin that will be exposed to the sun. So, it’s best to use this oil under clothing or when the sun has set. If you want to substitute another oil for the lemon, read more about using essential oils to deter pests.
After you make this recipe, check out my Bug Repellent Floating Candle tutorial.
Easy Essential Oil Bug Spray Recipe
- Filtered water - hot
- Rubbing alcohol
- 40 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 30 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- Glass spray bottle
- Fill your chosen glass spray bottle half way full with filtered hot water.
- Fill the remaining half of your glass spray bottle with rubbing alcohol. Just be sure to leave a small amount room at the top unfilled so you have room for your essential oil drops.
- Carefully add 40 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 30 drops of Rosemary essential oil and 10 drops of lemon essential oil to the bottle.
- Place the lid on the spray bottle, and shake well before each use.