Welcome to the November 2013 Natural Living Blog Carnival: Homemade Holidays.
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Natural Living Blog Carnival hosted by Happy Mothering and The Pistachio Project through the Green Moms Network. This month, our members are talking about how homemade gifts can make your holidays more cost-effective and special! Check out all of the posts to get homemade gift ideas for everyone on your list.
Can you believe Fall is here, Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away and Christmas is right behind that? I love this time of year, and all of the scents that come along with it. One of my favorite holiday scents (and flavors) is peppermint!
My real weakness is peppermint mochas, but I also love peppermint in my beauty products! That’s why I’m so excited to share this recipe for DIY Peppermint Sugar Scrub Bars with you. Whether you’re looking to treat yourself or you’re embarking on a DIY project for Christmas gifts this year, these sugar scrub bars are sure to please.
You can also substitute your favorite essential oil in this recipe to create a scent that is appropriate for every season and every person.
DIY Peppermint Sugar Scrub Bars
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (I like Nutiva and Tropical Traditions)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Soap (I like this soap)
- 3-4 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (buy here)
- 1 cup organic sugar
- Red Mica Colorant (Optional)
- In a double boiler, melt your shredded soap (this can take over an hour, so be patient). If you do not have a double boiler, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between until melted.
- Mix in your coconut oil until combined and add your peppermint essential oil.
- Separate into two separate bowls, adding your mica into one bowl and mix until color is uniform.
- Add ½ cup of sugar to each bowl, doing one bowl at a time. Mix until well combined. You are looking for a slushy like consistency.
- Pour into your silicone molds and allow to dry for 1-2 hours before unmolding.
*If your sugar and soap mixture gets too thick, microwave on 10 second bursts until you are able to pour.
If you’re giving these peppermint sugar scrub bars out as Christmas gifts, you’ll want to adorn them with cute labels! You can download to use – there are 6 to a sheet.
Are you making any Christmas gifts this year?
Please take some time to enjoy the posts our other carnival participants have contributed: