The beauty of spring brings the annoyance of bugs and insects. Learn how to make a super easy essential oil bug spray using five natural ingredients.
Spring is here and I'm loving it. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the flowers are emerging from the ground. There's new life everywhere.
Unfortunately some of that new life can cause a nuisance while we're outside enjoying the lovely spring weather. I'm talking about bugs.
There is nothing worse than going for a walk by the lake or a hike up into the mountains and being attacked by creepy crawly bugs.
Since we started our natural living journey, we stopped using conventional bug sprays. We've tried some natural bug sprays as well, but it's so easy to make your own there's no reason to buy it.
Eucalyptus essential oil is a natural insecticide that's great for repelling mosquitoes and other biting insects. If you have spring allergies, it has the added benefit of helping to drain your sinuses while you're out and about.
Just beware that citrus oils cause photosensitivity, so you don't want to use lemon oil on skin that will be exposed to the sun. So, it's best to use this oil under clothing or when the sun has set. If you want to substitute another oil for the lemon, read more about using essential oils to deter pests.
Ready to make your own super easy essential oil bug spray? Get your supplies ready!
Super Easy Essential Oil Bug Spray Recipe
Ingredients and Supplies
- Filtered hot water
- Rubbing alcohol
- 40 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 30 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 ounce spray bottle (glass spray bottles are best when using citrus oils)
- Fill your chosen glass spray bottle half way full with filtered hot water.
- Fill the remaining half of your glass spray bottle with rubbing alcohol. Just be sure to leave a small amount room at the top unfilled so you have room for your essential oil drops.
- Carefully add 40 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 30 drops of Rosemary essential oil and 10 drops of lemon essential oil to the bottle.
- Place the lid on the spray bottle, and shake well before each use.
- Shake the bottle to make sure everything is well combined.
- Mist the mixture onto your skin wherever you wish to protect yourself from insects and bugs.