Last Updated on
Do you love burning candles, but want safe and non-toxic choices? Try making your own homemade soy candle with essential oils. It’s fun and affordable.
I love burning candles. It reminds me of my grandmother. She always had a candle burning in her bedroom, so it was one of my favorite gifts to give her.
Sadly, most candles are full of harmful fragrances you should not be breathing in. Secondly, they’re also often made from waxes that don’t burn cleanly, which can also harm your health.
I have used both beeswax pellets and soy wax flakes in my DIY projects. My first choice for candle wax is beeswax. It burns slow and clean. However, that’s a more expensive wax, so my second choice is soy wax.
It’s the same wax these wax warmer tarts are made from. It melts quick and easy, and works well for candles too. If you get a big bag of soy wax flakes, you can use them on both projects.
That’s why today I am sharing this tutorial with you so you can learn how to make a homemade soy wax candle using essential oils. I chose orange essential oil and lemon essential oil for this candle, but you could really choose any of your favorite essential oils scents.
I’ll be sharing another tutorial for making Bug Repellent Beeswax Candles soon, so make sure you’re signed up to receive email updates!
Now, go ahead and gather up your supplies, and let’s get started.
Uplifting Citrus Homemade Soy Candle with Essential Oils Tutorial
- 8 ounce and/or 4 ounce Mason jars
- Soy wax flakes
- Orange essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Wax coated candle wicks
- Double boiler or candle making pitcher
- Add 2 cups of soy wax flakes to a double boiler or candle making pitcher and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and smooth.
- Add 2-3 drops of each essential oil to the melted wax and stir until well combined.
- Dip the bottom of your candle wick into your melted wax and press it into the bottom center of your Mason jar.
- Very carefully pour the melted soy wax into the Mason jar, filling it approximately 3/4 full.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you’ve used all of your melted candle wax.
- Place your homemade soy candle the fridge for a couple of hours so the wax can harden.
- Trim your wick and display your homemade soy candle in your home. Be sure to always supervise your candle while it’s burning.