Last Updated on
Are you sick and tired of finding new capers for your Elf on the Shelf every day? Then you need a Santa Cam – a simple alternative to Elf on the Shelf!
Elf on the Shelf has been everywhere for a few years now. If you’re like me and you’re getting tired of trying to come up with new capers for your Elf on the Shelf to get into, I have a fun alternative to the Elf on the Shelf that you’re going to love.
It’s the Santa Cam ornament. You hang it on your tree and tell the kiddos that it live streams to Santa’s workshop so he can keep his naughty and nice list up to date all the time.
It’s a super affordable alternative too. I made this fun Santa Cam with a simple clear plastic ornament, a washer that I scavenged from around the house and some paint.
Best of all, you don’t have to find a new place to put it every day!
I think it came out pretty good and might be just the thing kids walking the line on the naughty/nice list need to keep them on the straight and narrow.
If you think it looks like a cute way to keep your kiddo’s on their toes this Christmas season, then be sure to check out the how to below!
If you’re more of the type to purchase your Christmas ornaments, you can also purchase a Santa Cam Ornament on Amazon.
The Most Adorable Santa Cam Ornament
- Clear flat ball ornament
- Black paint
- ½” to 1” washer
- Red paint marker
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Ribbon or ornament hook
- First, remove the hanger/cap portion of your ornament and set it aside.
- Squeeze about 1 tablespoon of black paint inside the ornament.
- Cover the end with tape and then your finger. Shake vigorously and roll to coat the inside completely with paint. Add more paint if needed.
- Push the ornament into a plastic cup with opening side down and allow excess paint to drip out for several hours.
- Secure the washer to the center of ornament with hot glue so it stays put.
- Add a red “button” with a paint pen, or you can also use a sticker or other item that resembles a button as well.
- Use a white paint pen to write “Santa’s Camera” in a pretty scrolly writing, then allow the ornament to dry completely.
- Replace your ornament cap and attach a ribbon, string or hook to hang on your tree.
Buy a Santa Cam ornament here if you don’t have time to make one without your kids seeing!