A Dragon Fruit Smoothie is a fun way to introduce your family to exotic fruits. The bright pink color and slightly sweet flavor make a unique smoothie!
Raising adventurous eaters is something we like to pride ourselves on. Our girls love trying new things so much that we’ll often choose something from the grocery store that no one has tried.
They have been asking to try Dragon Fruit for a while now. While we love to buy and eat local produce, Dragon Fruit is just something that isn’t local to us. So we step outside of our preference for keeping it local because it’s so much fun introducing the family to exotic fruits and vegetables.
If you have never tasted a Dragon Fruit (also called pitaya), it tastes similar to a kiwi and has small black seeds like a kiwi but a lot more of those seeds. It is a mild tasting fruit with just a bit of sweetness.
When I saw the beautiful dragon fruit sitting in the produce section, I knew I had to bring it home and give it a try in something. In the end, that “something” turned into a couple of somethings.
For this first recipe I turned it into a healthy smoothie that’s perfect for quick breakfast or a tasty snack. Smoothies are a great way to get some healthy food into picky (or not so picky) bellies – kids or grown ups.
Besides being so pretty, dragon fruit contains phytonutrients, vitamin C, antioxidants, B vitamins, carotene, fatty acids and protein, making them the perfect smoothie ingredient!
Give this yummy dragon fruit smoothie recipe a try and let us know what you (and your kids) think!
Exotic Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- ½ dragon fruit
- ½ banana
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey - local preferred
- 1 cup ice
- Cut your dragon fruit in half and scoop out one half of the inner fruit. I love the beautiful color of the dragon fruit and think it makes one of the prettiest smoothies ever!
- Toss the dragon fruit, banana, coconut milk, raw honey and ice into blender.
- Puree until all of your ingredients are nice and smooth.
- Pour into a glass, add a fun straw and enjoy!