Learn how to make Suncatcher Wind Chimes in this easy kids nature craft. It’s a fun and easy activity for spring.
We are huge nature lovers. One of our favorite things to do is go for walks and enjoy nature. We live in a National Forest after all!
The girls love finding things in nature they can use for craft projects. So they were excited to learn how to make make these pretty nature suncatcher wind chimes.
We set out on a walk with buckets and smiles. Going on nature walks really allows you to appreciate the little things in nature. They always want to stop and examine every tiny flower they spot. Nothing like taking time to smell the roses 🙂
Now we have pretty suncatchers to hang on the front porch. It’s a great craft to do in the spring after being cooped up in the house all winter.
Kids Nature Craft: Suncatcher Wind Chimes
- Decide how many rings you want on your suncatcher wind chimes, then trace the outside of the mason jar rings onto the contact paper (the clear side, not the backing).
- Remove the backing from the contact paper and place it onto a table with the sticky side facing up. You may need to tape it down. Have your kids press the items they found on their nature hunt into the circles. You can also use tissue paper and other items.
- When they are done pressing items onto the contact paper, place a second piece of contact paper over the top of the first to seal everything inside. Be sure to get as many of the air bubbles out as possible by pressing them flat. Cut the circles out inside the traced line so they'll fit inside the mason jar rings. Depending upon your child's age, you may need to help them with this step.
- Poke a hole into each of the nature rounds, and push a piece of string through the hole and through the mason jar ring. Tie a knot on the mason jar ring. This will ensure your pretty nature rounds don't fly away.
- Tie the other end of the string onto the old hanger. Continue this process until all of your nature rounds have been used on your suncatcher wind chimes. Hang your pretty nature inspired suncatcher wind chimes on your porch or wherever they can be admired.