Are you looking for an upcycled egg carton craft to do with your kids? We'll show you how you can make a beautiful spring flowers craft using egg cartons.
The flowers are blooming everywhere around the mountains. It's so much fun to go for long walk and hikes to take in all of the beauty that spring has to offer.
While we may have to manage our spring allergies on these outings, it's totally worth it! Being in the midst of nature has a way of inspiring us in so many ways.
While out and about recently, we talked about how we needed to do some nature crafts. So we came home and devised a fun way to make our own flowers craft using the stockpile of egg cartons we have.
I always have good intentions of taking our leftover egg cartons to the farmer's market, and I always forget. So upcycling them into something pretty and fun is a good second to donating them back to the farmer we buy our eggs from.
If you've been looking for a fun upcycled flowers craft to do with your kids, this is the one! They'll have a great time because they get to cut and paint. And you'll be happy because they'll be occupied for quite some time.
Upcycled Egg Carton Spring Flowers Craft Tutorial
- Egg Carton (cardboard, not styrofoam)
- Acrylic Paint (or washable paint for the younger ones)
- Paint Brush
- Popsicle Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun and Hot Glue Sticks
- Pom poms (optional)
- The first step is to paint your popsicle sticks green. If you want, you can save some paint by leaving the top of each popsicle stick unpainted. You’ll be gluing your flowers in that spot, so no need for paint there.
- Once you've painted all of your popsicle sticks, set them aside and allow them to dry completely.
- Cut the top (lid) of your egg carton off. You’ll use the flat portions to cut out leaf shapes for your popsicle stems.
- Cut two cardboard leaves for each flower (you can make 6 flowers per egg carton, so you'll need 12 leaves per carton).
- Paint your egg carton leaves green and allow them to dry completely.
- Once your flower leaves have dried, glue them onto your popsicle sticks to create stems.
- Cut each egg section out of the bottom portion of the egg carton. Gently tear each of the four sides down to create petals. You’ll need two of these for each flower.
- You are welcome to leave the flowers as they are or you can clean them up. I tore off any rough edges to make the flowers look more delicate.
- Invite your little ones to paint the flowers. You can use acrylic or washable paint.
- Let your little ones dip their fingers into the paint to dot the center of each of your flowers.
- This next step is a fun one! You can either leave your flowers a solid color or let your little ones take a pom pom to stamp colorful paint all over the petals. Allow your flowers to dry completely.
- Once your flowers have dried, glue one flower to the front of your popsicle stick and one flower to the back of the popsicle stick to create a 3D effect. Your flowers are now finished.
Let us know how your kiddos liked this upcycled egg carton flowers craft in the comments below!
Want More Spring and Summer Crafts for Kids? Check These Out:
- Suncatcher Wind Chimes
- Globe Ornament Craft
- Pom Pom Jingle Bell Tree Craft
- Children's Rose Headband
- Friendship Frame
- Princess Pink Glitter Slime
- Moon Sand
- Silky Smooth Cloud Dough