The best thing about this recipe though, is you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen! This sugar scrub is perfect to make ahead and keep in the shower for when you need it. It is also makes a wonderful gift for friends and family.
Why these Ingredients?
Sugar is exfoliating, which removes the dead skin cells on the top layer of the dermis and encourages growth of new cells.
Coffee grounds are also exfoliating. The caffeine in coffee encourages blood flow to the skin and is said to reduce cellulite and spider veins. It is anti-inflammatory, reduces redness, wrinkles and firms skin.
Olive oil is added to replenish some of the oils your body produces naturally. It protects the skin and leaves it moisturized and healthy looking.
Cinnamon is invigorating, encourages blood flow and is anti-microbial, which would help with any skin infections (like acne or athletes foot).
Ginger is another invigorating blood mover. It helps open up the pores so the body can remove toxins through the skin, which is its primary function.
Allspice is anti-inflammatory, reduces redness and swelling, encourages blood flow and is high in anti-oxidants, helping skin to look younger.
Spicy Coffee Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coffee grounds (use fresh coffee grounds if you are giving this to a friend or expect it to last more than a week. You can use brewed coffee grounds if you are going to use it immediately)
- 3 tablespoons olive, almond or jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until incorporated.
- Place in a sterilized jar and seal until ready to use.
- In the shower, use the scrub to exfoliate the skin. It is especially delightful on the feet, knees, elbows and hands where the skin gets thick or rough, but is great anywhere on the body except for sensitive skin like the face and neck.
- Be careful when exiting the shower or bath tub. The oils in this scrub can make the floor slippery.