I have been wanting to make my own soap for a while, as I delve deeper into making more of our personal care products. It’s just such a great feeling to know what ingredients are going onto my family’s skin.
With winter on the horizon, my skin is starting to get dry and my eczema is flaring up again. Keeping my skin exfoliated and moisturized is critical when the humidity levels drop this time of year.
I love this recipe because oatmeal is very soothing and gently exfoliating, so it’s safe not only for my skin, but for the whole family. You can also add essential oils with helpful qualities. These soap bars will also make a great homemade gift this holiday season!
DIY Oatmeal Exfoliating Bar
- In a double boiler, melt your soap over low heat and smooth.
- In a food processor, grind the oatmeal into a fine grain.
- Once soap has melted completely, allow cooling for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a few drops of essential oil at a time, until desired scent is reached. You can add as little or as much as you like.
- In a silicone mold, cover the bottom of the mold with ground oatmeal.
- Pour melted soap over ground oatmeal. If any air bubbles occur at the surface, spray them with rubbing alcohol to disperse them.
- Allow to harden in mold for 3-4 hours.
Have you ever made your own soap?
This post contains affiliate links.