Last Updated on
Have you ever made a DIY all purpose cleaner with citrus peels? It’s an incredibly effective cleaner for many surfaces and it smells great too!
Have you ever made a DIY All Purpose Cleaner with Citrus Peels? If not, you should give it a try!
Keeping as many chemicals as possible out of the house means being creative and using my beloved essential oils along with a few other natural products to create safe yet still effective cleaners.
All-purpose cleaner is something that is used constantly in the house – counters, appliances, floors, bathrooms, everywhere!
I had a really hard time giving up my favorite chemical all-purpose cleaner. It was just so easy to grab a bottle and spritz everywhere.
And while it worked fantastic, I would still cough my head off from the fumes it puts out it – all while I clung to it as one of my last DIY natural hold outs.
Then I realized how ridiculously easy it was to make my own cleaner that smells amazing!
I want to share my favorite go-to natural cleaner with you so you can give it a try and replace the chemicals in your home too!
Ready to make your own natural all purpose cleaner?
DIY All Purpose Cleaner Recipe
- Glass bottle
- Spray nozzle
- 2-3 citrus peels
- Distilled water
- 6 drops lemon essential oil
- 6 drops orange essential oil
- You either purchase a glass spray bottle (like this) or upcycle a leftover bottle like this vinegar bottle I used. I then threaded the sprayer from my old all purpose bottle onto the top (you can also buy a trigger sprayer like this). Essential oils are always best kept in dark bottles to keep them protected from the ultraviolet light as well as oxidation. I keep mine, especially those in vinegar bottles, in a dark cabinet when not in use.
- Peel oranges or lemons and slip the peels inside your glass jar. I typically just save up peels from when we use citrus so nothing goes to waste.
- Fill your bottle to the top with 12-16 ounces of water.
- Add essential oils, replace spray nozzle and shake well.
- This mixture is best when the essential oils from your peels have had a chance to be absorbed, I make two and let one sit while I am using up the other one – two weeks is a good wait period. But since you are also adding essential oils, your mixture will still be an effective cleaner.
- Just fill with water and add a couple drops of essential oils to remake your cleaner again and again. The peels last for months before they start to become unusable. I just fish them out with a chopstick or other handy device and pop new ones in.